Forum archive 2000-2006

ymarkov - A precreated problem manipulation

ymarkov - A precreated problem manipulation

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicA precreated problem manipulation topic started 10/5/2001; 1:18:30 AM
last post 10/8/2001; 8:20:24 PM
userymarkov - A precreated problem manipulation  blueArrow
10/5/2001; 1:18:30 AM (reads: 933, responses: 3)
I was wondering is there a safe way to change a problem in a set after l2h precreation has been run. I assume quite a few files in the ./course/html/tmp directory have to be removed, but I am not sure which files exactly.

Thank you, Yavor

P.S. As to my previous question, I did not find anything wrong with the code of the problem, but still it would not accept some correct answers, and correct answers were checked by 3 different instructors. So I would like to change the answer formula a bit. The new formula works well in my test course.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: A precreated problem manipulation  blueArrow
10/5/2001; 9:19:42 AM (reads: 1165, responses: 0)
WeBWorK is smart enought to realize that the problem has been changed and it will recreate the images. So you don't have to worry too much about this. To be more precise, WeBWorK compares the date of the .pg file with the date of the corresponding directory (e.g. .../l2h/set3/4-12345 for problem 4 in set 3 for the student with psvn 12345). If the .pg file is newer, WeBWorK deletes the directory and then builds it anew. Note that WeBWorK is not smart enought to realize if you change a student's seed for a problem, but this is something that is almost never done (it you do this, you have to physically remove the corresponding directory).

If you want to speed things up after changing a problem, you can run l2hPrecreateProb.pl (enter this with no parameters and it will respond with the correct syntax to use). You could also run l2hPrecreateSet.pl but that would be less efficient. l2hPrecreateSet.pl will not recreate images that already exist (as long as the existing directory is newer than the date of the corresponging problem), but it does some work before it realizes that valid images already exit.

If you only change one problem, you probably do not have to worry about running l2hPrecreateProb.pl unless you have a very slow system.

You could use the search box to the lelf to search for related information (maybe search for precreate?)

Arnie

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: A precreated problem manipulation  blueArrow
10/5/2001; 11:32:07 AM (reads: 1136, responses: 0)
What happens with precreate when there is a conflict in the data about a problem set between the problem set definition file and the WeBWorK database? For example, suppose you build a problem set and then examine/change database for the entire set by deleting and/or adding problems to the original set.

Zig Fiedorowicz

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: A precreated problem manipulation  blueArrow
10/8/2001; 8:20:24 PM (reads: 1134, responses: 0)
In version 1.7 if you delete a problem, all the cached images are removed (this is done so rarely that it is not worth the effort to rename directories because of changed problem numbers). If you add a problem to the original set, nothing is done with cached images. To be honest, I don't quite remember when I made this change. Probably this spring so that with version 1.6, this is not done automatically.

In general you should be very careful about removing problems from sets which have already been built. In particular, doing so will invalidate the sco files since problem numbers will have changed. Rather than remove a bad problem, I would just give everyone credit for doing the problem correctly.