Class List Editor
Class List Editor Help Page
From this page you can add new students, to edit the class list data (names, email addresses, recitation, section permission levels and enrollment status), to change passwords, to export (save) class lists for back-up or use in another course. You can also delete students from the class roster, but this cannot be undone.
This page gives access to information about the student, independ of the homework sets assigned to them.
To perform an action first click the radio button next to desired action then click the "Take Action!" button.
- Restrict or sort the students displayed
- When the class is very large not all students will be displayed. Using the first action on this page you can show only the students from a given recitation or from a given section, or only students whose login or last name fits a pattern match. The second action will sort the students currently being displayed. You can also sort the displayed students by clicking on the active links at the top of each column.
- Edit class list data
- You can edit the class list data for a single student by clicking on the pencil icon next to their login name. To edit several students at once click on the "Select" checkbox next to their names, click on the radio button for editing selected users and then click "Take Action!". You can also edit all visible users (those students currently being displayed) or even all users in the course although this last option might take a long time to load for a large class.
- The login name cannot be changed. (It is the primary key for the student's data.) If you make a mistake in the login name at the beginning of the course (before any work has been done) then it is best to simply add a new student with the correct entry and drop the student with the bad login name. (See drop and delete students below.)
- Add a few students to the course.
- Click the "Add x student(s)" radio button and then click "Take action". This will take you to a new page where the data can be entered for one or more students. It is also possible to assign the student to one or more problem sets as they are being entered: simply select the homework sets from the list below the data entry table. Use 'command' or 'control' click to select more than one homework set.
- Add many students to a course from a class list.
- This is most easily done by importing a class list. The class list can be uploaded from your workstation to the server using the File Manager page. The class list must be a file ending in .lst and must have a specific format. Once the file has been uploaded to the server the file will appear in the import action pop-up list (5th action). demoCourse.lst is available for most courses and adds the "practice users" which activate guest logins to the class list .
- Add a TA or an instructor (change permission level of user)
- This is done by first entering the user as a student and then changing the permission level of the user. First edit the user by clicking on the pencil next to their name (or using the technique above for several users), then change their permssion level -- an entry blank at the far right of the screen, you may have to scroll to see it. The permission levels are
- Guest: -5
- Student: 0
- Proctor: 2
- TA: 5
- Instructor: 10
- Drop student from the course
- To drop a student or students, select them for editing as described above and then set the pop-up list to enrolled,drop, or audit. Dropped students cannot log in to the course, are not assigned new homework sets and are not sent e-mail. They can be re-enrolled simply by changing their status back to enrolled. No data is lost, any homework sets assigned before they were dropped are restored unchanged.
- Delete a student from a course
- This should be done cautiously. Once a student is deleted from a course their data is lost forever and cannot be recovered. They can be added to the course as a new student, but all of their homework set assignments and homework has been permanently deleted.
- Assign sets to one student
- To assign one or more sets to an individual student click in the column "Assigned Sets" in the student's row. This will take you to a page where you can assign and unassign homework sets and change the due dates for homework on an individual basis.
- Change the due date for one student
- Click on the column "Assigned Sets" in the student's row. This will take you to a page where you can assign and unassign homework sets and change the due dates for homework on an individual basis.
- "Act as" a student
- Clicking on the login name link in a student's row allows you to view the student's version of the homework (rather than your own) so that you can more easily answer student questions about homework problems. (A "acting as xxx" alert will appear in the upper right corner of each window while you are acting as a student.) You can submit the answers (which will NOT be recorded) to check that the computer is grading the problem correctly. You will also be able to view past answers submitted by the student for each problem. To stop acting in the student's role click the "Stop acting" link in the upper right corner of the window.
- Change the grades on a homework set for one student.
- Click first in the "Assigned Sets" column in the student's row. This will take you to a new page where you will click on the link to the homework set where the grade change is to be made. (The grade for each problem is listed as "status" on this third page).
- Extend the number of attempts allowed a student on a given problem
- Click first in the "Assigned Sets" column in the student's row. This will take you to a new page where you will click on the link to the homework set where the grade change is to be made.
- Assign sets to many students
- This is done from the "Hmwrk Sets Editor" or from the "Instructor Tools" page if you wish to assign a homework set to all students or a large group of students (e.g. a section).
- Change dates for a homework set for the whole class.
- This is done from the "Hmwrk Sets Editor" or from the "Instructor Tools" page.
- Change the grading on a homework set for an entire class.
- You might want to do this if you want to give full credit to everyone on a particular problem that was not worded correctly, or wasn't working properly. This is done from the "Hmwk sets editor" page or the "Instructor tools" page.
- Change the number of atttempts allowed on a problem.
- This is done from the "Hmwk sets editor" page or the "Instructor tools" page.
Many of these editing activities can also be done more quickly from the "Instructor tools" page where students and homework sets can be selected simultaneously. The Instructor Tools page is useful for quick editing of one or two students. The initial setup of the class can be done best from this page. Importing and exporting class lists can only be done from this page. Deleting students can only be done from this page.
Review of column functions:
- Clicking on any active link at the top of the column sorts the page by that column. You can do lexigraphic sorts: click on "First name" then "Last name" to sort by last name, sorting those with the same last name by their first name.
- The login name column links allow you to "act as" a student.
- The pencil in the login column allows you to edit that student's data.
- The Assigned sets column (x/y) indicates that x sets out of y sets available have been assigned to this student. Click this link to assign or unassign sets to this student, to adjust due dates, or to adjust the grades on a homework set for a student.
- Clicking the e-mail address link will bring up your standard email application so that you can send email to the student. This works even if the student has been dropped from the course. To send email to an entire class or to merge grades with the email message use the "Email" page link in the left margin.