WeBWorK Main Forum

LTI authentication failed through Canvas

LTI authentication failed through Canvas

by tim Payer -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

My Campus Canvas tech and I are trying to resolve an authentication failure.
It is not an error statement, rather just the message that the test students authentication has failed.

The message below:

Stat_109_HWK_1

Your authentication failed. Please try again. Please speak with your instructor if you need help.

humboldt-stat109 uses an external authentication system. You've authenticated through that system, but aren't allowed to log in to this course.

We are using the same set-up we had last Spring and have already renewed our webwork subscription, V 2.13, Last week. The relevant assignments have all been opened to accommodate testing.
I also called the main office at the MAA to see if the scheduled for activation of webwork subscriptions, august 1st could be updated for today, July 24, to see if possibly that was the issue. (They were very accommodating)

But the authentication continues to fail.

Any suggsetions are most appreciated...
Tim
In reply to tim Payer

Re: LTI authentication failed through Canvas

by tim Payer -
Canvas to Webwork Authentication Failure Resolved!

The issue was a new security feature that Canvas has added to their LTI connection. In years past an instructor could renew their Webwork subscription and then copy their Canvas course content over and re-use the same Consumer Key and consumer secret without any consequence of repeated use of the same names.

Now, with this Canvas security feature, copies of course content that are re-used by the same instructor or shared with another instructor will have the word "Fake" overwritten on the key, and "Secret has not changed" on the consumer secret.

To refresh the LTI connection one can either change the name of both, or one could use the same name again, provided that a new name is put in place and saved, then followed up with the old names for Key and Consumer secret and saved again.

What makes it tough for the instructor is that we are not permitted to access to see all this, so you might need to prompt your local Canvas tech to make the change for re-used course content using an LTI.

Whew, Tim
In reply to tim Payer

by Michael Gage -
Thanks Tim for reporting back on this. It will undoubtedly save people from a lot of grief.It's a hard bug to track down.
In reply to tim Payer

by Nathan Wallach -
Tim could you put a note about this in the Wiki instructions at:

or if open an issue for someone else to do so at:
In reply to Nathan Wallach

by tim Payer -
I am sorry Nathan,

I have yet to learn how to post on Wiki.
I would post about this trouble spot for Canvas LTI links, if I knew how to.

Tim