Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - Confused by part 11 of prof page

John Jones - Confused by part 11 of prof page

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicConfused by part 11 of prof page topic started 8/13/2002; 8:40:08 AM
last post 8/21/2002; 11:24:15 AM
userJohn Jones - Confused by part 11 of prof page  blueArrow
8/13/2002; 8:40:08 AM (reads: 1517, responses: 4)
In part 11 of the professor's page, "Examine or modify data for all students in ...", the second half of the page has some things which don't work the way I expected.

What does the status column actually do? I entered 1 for a problem, clicked the radio button so that it was read/write mode and told it to save changes. I expected that everyone would now have status 1 (full credit) on that problem, but there didn't seem to be any change. What does the status column on that page really do?

In the same area, each problem has a pair of radio buttons, Delete and ReSeed. In some browsers, one of them will be selected in each row. There is no way (I know of) for a user to unselect a radio button. If you are making changes w.r.t. one problem, you probably don't want to delete or reseed all of the others. It would be good to have an option of do nothing (which is selected by default), right?

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Confused by part 11 of prof page  blueArrow
8/13/2002; 10:57:26 AM (reads: 1792, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Concerning your first question. The problem has to be attempted for it to be scored so, if a student hasn't attemped the problem, putting a 1 in the status column will not record a score. To make sure everyone gets full credit for a problem, put a 1 in both the Attempted and Status columns.

Concerning your second question. Ouch! Which browsers always select one of a bunch of radio buttons? I guess we could add a third button called "Don't Delete or Reseed". Can anyone think of better name? It has to be clear that this button only "over rides" the delete and reseed options.

Arnie

userJohn Jones - Re: Confused by part 11 of prof page  blueArrow
8/14/2002; 5:29:14 AM (reads: 1828, responses: 0)
Hi Arnie,

Thanks for the answer to the first part.

I don't recall which browser I was using at the time (I switch around a lot). Maybe instead of adding a third button, we could change them from radio buttons to checkboxes. Then if one is accidentally checked, you can just uncheck it.

I realize it doesn't make sense if a user checks both ReSeed and Delete, but if they do, then the script should just do the delete (or it can do neither and issue a warning).

John

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Confused by part 11 of prof page  blueArrow
8/15/2002; 1:28:08 AM (reads: 1788, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Checkboxes are a good idea. Thanks.

Arnie

userJohn Jones - Re: Confused by part 11 of prof page  blueArrow
8/21/2002; 11:24:15 AM (reads: 1808, responses: 0)
OK,

They are now checkboxes in the CVS version with ReSeed and Delete leading to just Delete.

John