Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - Database corruption already?

John Jones - Database corruption already?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicDatabase corruption already? topic started 8/26/2002; 4:41:46 PM
last post 8/27/2002; 4:40:07 AM
userJohn Jones - Database corruption already?  blueArrow
8/26/2002; 4:41:46 PM (reads: 1213, responses: 4)
In a course which is one day old, the professors page is pink. The first few lines of errors from the bottom of the page are below. There have been two sets built for this course, but the various menus in the professor's page show a third whose name is blank (just says "Set"). I tried to delete it, but that generated an error message.

The only unusual thing I know of which this instructor did was to change login names for a few students through the professor's page.

The logs for the course also show 2 "hacker errors", but there doesn't seem to be anything really unusual looking about those entries (it seems to be a valid student trying to preview their answers on a problem).

Is there redundancy for me to rebuild the database?

John

Compiler warnings:

* Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /ud/webwork/base/system/scripts/DBglue8.pl line 766. ##More details: -------- main::getAllProbSetNumbersHash called at /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/webwork/system/cgi-scripts/profLogin.pl line 96

-----------------------------------

* Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /ud/webwork/base/system/scripts/DBglue8.pl line 766. ##More details: -------- main::getAllProbSetNumbersHash called at /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/webwork/system/cgi-scripts/profLogin.pl line 96

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Database corruption already?  blueArrow
8/26/2002; 5:27:34 PM (reads: 1428, responses: 0)
Hi again.

After some more investigation, I don't think the database has gone bad. I think it is a bug in DBglue8. I'll give the patch some time to test here. If all goes well, I'll upload the fix.

John

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Database corruption already?  blueArrow
8/27/2002; 1:45:29 AM (reads: 1426, responses: 0)
The answer John's question: "Is there redundancy for me to rebuild the database?" is yes.

There is a script rebuildProbSetDBfromPSVNlog.pl which is explained in http://webwork.math.rochester.edu/docs/docs/courseadmin/describescripts.html

which will rebuild the database. However, if you ever have to use this script, contact us so that we can be certain you know what you are doing. This script has to our knowledge only been used 2 or 3 times in the past and hopefully will be used even less often in the future.

Arnie

userJohn Jones - Re: Database corruption already?  blueArrow
8/27/2002; 4:21:25 AM (reads: 1429, responses: 1)
Hi Arnie,

The problem was that a student had put equal signs in her answers. This problem seems to be fixed in the CVS version of DBglue.pl, so next semester we will just switch to that.

John

userBill Ziemer - Re: Database corruption already?  blueArrow
8/27/2002; 4:40:07 AM (reads: 1653, responses: 0)
Ahh, I had the same problem last semester, but never did figure out what went wrong. I used rebuildProbSetDBfromPSVNlog.pl and it did fix the problem each time it occured. ( about 12 times over the course of the semester running 16 classes )