Forum archive 2000-2006

lacy_s@m... - Maybe one for the FAQ

lacy_s@m... - Maybe one for the FAQ

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicMaybe one for the FAQ topic started 4/4/2003; 2:59:24 PM
last post 4/8/2003; 3:30:40 PM
userlacy_s@m... - Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/4/2003; 2:59:24 PM (reads: 2110, responses: 5)
When I bring up a page in WebWork, everything seems to come up fine, but at the bottom I get a lot of warning messages such as:

Current time: 4/4/03 at 2:49 PM

Compiler warnings: * Use of uninitialized value in join or string at (eval 13) line 15. ##More details: -------- CGI::p called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/profHousekeeping.pl line 82

-----------------------------------

* Use of uninitialized value in join or string at (eval 14) line 15. ##More details: -------- CGI::hr called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/profHousekeeping.pl line 93

[and variations on CGI:tag]

CGI:: is installed and up-to-date per CPAN.

This is on a RedHat 8.0 install. Like I said, the pages come up fine, but warnings similar to the above show up at the bottom. Some pages have only one, others have several.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott Lacy Unix Systems Manager Mercer University lacy_s@mercer.edu

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/7/2003; 4:05:46 PM (reads: 2347, responses: 0)
Hi Scott,

My initial reaction is this is some sort of problem with CGI.pm but you have thought of that. I asked our interns to lokk into this ---maybe they will have an idea.

Here's one thing to check. Log into one of our courses (e.g. http://webwork.math.rochester.edu:8088/mth161/) as a practice user (e.g. login as practice2 with password practice2) and compare how our pages look to how your pages look. Do your pages have the same horizontal rules (CGI::hr) as ours? Note that we may not use CGI::hr to generate all hoizontal rules so you should compare pages where you get the CGI::hr warning message.

Arnie

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/8/2003; 11:15:57 AM (reads: 2344, responses: 0)
Hi Scott,

What version of CGI.pm and Perl are you using? Note the message from http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/#bugs stating that uninitialized variable warnings under Perl 5.8 was fixed in CGI.pm version 2.88.

Arnie

Address bug reports and comments to:
<A HREF="mailto:lstein@cshl.org">lstein@cshl.org. When sending bug reports, please provide the following information:

• the version of CGI.pm (perl -MCGI -e 'print $CGI::VERSION')
  • the version of Perl (perl -v)
  • the name and version of your Web server
  • the name and version of the operating system you are using
  • if applicable, the name and version of the browser you are using
  • a short test script that reproduces the problem (30 lines or less)

It is very important that I receive this information in order to help you.

Revision History

Version 2.88

1. Fixed problem with uploads being refused under Perl 5.8 when under Taint mode.
  2. Fixed uninitialized variable warnings under Perl 5.8.
  3. Fixed CGI::Pretty regression test failures.

userlacy_s@m... - Re: Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/8/2003; 11:33:31 AM (reads: 2356, responses: 0)
CGI.pm on my system is version 2.91:

$CGI::revision = '$Id: CGI.pm,v 1.88 2003/02/11 14:13:18 lstein Exp $'; $CGI::VERSION='2.91';

It's the latest one from CPAN. I will try downgrading to 2.88 and let you know how that works.

Thanks for the tip!

Scott

userlacy_s@m... - Re: Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/8/2003; 11:48:09 AM (reads: 2338, responses: 0)
Downgrading to 2.88 seems to fix the problem. I got the 2.91 CGI.pm from CPAN via the CPAN module in Perl. I notice that Lincoln Stern still has 2.88 as the latest release on his website, however. So 2.91 perhaps has reintroduced that bug. And FYI, this is on a Redhat 8 box.

Thanks for the tip, that turned out to be the trick :)

Scott Lacy Unix Systems Admin Mercer University lacy_s@mercer.edu

userSam Hathaway - Re: Maybe one for the FAQ  blueArrow
4/8/2003; 3:30:40 PM (reads: 2358, responses: 0)
Scott,

What version of profHousekeeping.pl are you using? There should be a line near the top of the file like:

## $Id: profLogin.pl,v 1.7 2002/06/10 19:18:09 apizer Exp $