Forum archive 2000-2006

Mark Schmitt - Math mode in Mozilla/Phoenix

Mark Schmitt - Math mode in Mozilla/Phoenix

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicMath mode in Mozilla/Phoenix topic started 4/5/2003; 9:53:33 AM
last post 4/7/2003; 8:04:47 AM
userMark Schmitt - Math mode in Mozilla/Phoenix  blueArrow
4/5/2003; 9:53:33 AM (reads: 780, responses: 1)
I've been trying out different browsers on my Win98 laptop at school and I've found some that Mozilla and Phoenix both have some problems with WeBWorK. For Mozilla 1.2.1 (not the most current, I think), I the square WeBWorK gif (which links to the Rochester docs) does not display. Also the help gif does not display. I find this odd since the other buttons display fine. This problem does not occur with Phoenix 0.5, so it may be that the problem is with the browser, and not WeBWorK. If anyone has an updated version of Mozilla and can verify that this problem still exists or was fixed, it would be appreciated.

The second problem is more serious, I think. Math mode does not display properly in either Mozilla or Phoenix when using formatted-text mode. For both in-line and display mode, things like sums and even inequalities do not display properly when using tth. After looking at Rochester's democourses, it appears that the png method works fine, since it makes images. I guess that will serve as proof that I should update my server as soon as time allows, and should convince anyone else who is dragging their feet to do the same.

Mark

<| Post or View Comments |>

userGavin LaRose - Re: Math mode in Mozilla/Phoenix  blueArrow
4/7/2003; 8:04:47 AM (reads: 942, responses: 0)
Hi Mark,

With Mozilla, at least, I suspect the latter is a font problem. The TtH Page, here, has a detailed explanation of the difficulties and perils of trying to use text fonts to render math. There's more information on how to enable the right fonts for Mozilla at this page on the TtH site.

I hope that's useful,
Gavin

<| Post or View Comments |>