Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Assessment in Mathematics

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Assessment in Mathematics

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicAssessment in Mathematics topic started 7/7/2003; 3:04:31 PM
last post 7/8/2003; 1:49:06 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Assessment in Mathematics  blueArrow
7/7/2003; 3:04:31 PM (reads: 909, responses: 2)
I thought you might be interested in taking a look at the following site: http://aimmath.sourceforge.net/. This is the home page of a (primarily) British project, Assessment in Mathematics (AiM), to create web-based quizes and homeworks, like WeBWorK, but using Maple as the backend.

One of the advantages of their approach is that it is easier to create problems which ask the student to give an example of a mathematical entity (e.g. function, matrix, etc.) having specified properties.

They also use Moodle as a frontend.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Assessment in Mathematics  blueArrow
7/7/2003; 4:56:56 PM (reads: 1165, responses: 0)
This is a very nice project, Zig. Thanks for the pointer. It seems to be very close in educational spirit to WeBWorK, but uses maple as it's programming language instead of perl. I'm happy to notice that it does use the concept of an answer evaluator, so one's ability to check to a student's answer is only limited by the ability to write the checking algorithm in maple -- not much of a limitation at all!

-- Mike

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: Assessment in Mathematics  blueArrow
7/8/2003; 1:49:06 PM (reads: 1153, responses: 0)
I think it would be a great thing, if it were possible for the various open source mathematics elearning platforms could interoperate with each other, so that one could create homeworks/quizes consisting of mixtures of problems generated by different systems. I think it would be possible without humongous effort to develop some sort of common interface which could be used to imbed a problem generated by one system in a problem set on another system.

To facilitate a discussion on this and related topics I've created a web site (run by Moodle) at the following url: https://webwork.math.ohio-state.edu/moodle_melearn/course/view.php?id=2 To start the discussion rolling, I've added a demonstration of a rather crude interface between WeBWorK and WIMS.