Forum archive 2000-2006

Shawn Sivy - Linux group member limitation

Shawn Sivy - Linux group member limitation

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicLinux group member limitation topic started 7/9/2003; 10:03:48 AM
last post 7/9/2003; 8:45:09 PM
userShawn Sivy - Linux group member limitation  blueArrow
7/9/2003; 10:03:48 AM (reads: 1131, responses: 2)
I'm the system administrator of our new WebWork installation. The course setup instructions suggest creating a Linux group for each course and assigning the webserver user and the professor's Linux username as members of the group. The problem I'm running into is that a user on Linux can only be a member of up to 32 groups at a time. This means the web server can only support 32 courses. Is there any way around this other than recompiling the kernel to support more groups per user or running multiple web servers?

-Shawn

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Linux group member limitation  blueArrow
7/9/2003; 1:00:58 PM (reads: 1339, responses: 0)
The use of different groups for different courses is there to keep people, who have user accounts on the server and are logging into them, from meddling with each others files. At our site, only one person logs into the server directly; everyone else does what they need to through their web browser. So, I use the same linux group for all courses.

If you really have more than 32 people who will be logging in, then maybe you could divide them into groups to limit possible damage from wrong-doing and ask people to be on their honor not to mess with courses other than their own.

John

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Linux group member limitation  blueArrow
7/9/2003; 8:45:09 PM (reads: 1328, responses: 0)
At Rochester we use FreeBSD which by default has a 16 group limit. We functioned with this for many years (making some compromises) but then recompiled the kernel with a 64 group limit. Actually this was more of a problem on the server we use to host non Rochester courses.

I doubt that you have 32 separate courses in which you would want to use WeBWorK but maybe each individaul section of your large courses have separate homework assignments. If so, you would want to treat them as separate WeBWorK courses. At Rochester, a large course is broken up into sections, but all share commom homework assignments. Thus it is set up as one WeBWorK course with students assigned to different sections. A single group is assigned to the course and contains the webserver and usually the professors assigned to the course. Professors knowledgable about unix probably prefer access to the server as they can easily use their favorite editors, etc. Those without unix expertise usually use the web interface for everything.

If you don't want to recompile the kernel or run separate webservers, the obvious thing to do is to follow John's suggestion and the obvious way to do that is to assign each course to a single group and to ask all "professors" in a single group to be careful and respect eachother.

Note that WeBWorK mod_perl (WW2)does not have this group limitation but even though WeBWorK mod_perl will be released soon, I think most conservative users will want to at least run WW1.9 in parallel with WW2 for awhile.

Arnie