Forum archive 2000-2006

Andrew J. Grall - Remote hosting of webwork?

Andrew J. Grall - Remote hosting of webwork?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicRemote hosting of webwork? topic started 4/20/2004; 9:34:14 AM
last post 5/20/2004; 2:48:09 PM
userAndrew J. Grall - Remote hosting of webwork?  blueArrow
4/20/2004; 9:34:14 AM (reads: 2659, responses: 9)

Hello,

I have been using WebWork at Detroit Country Day School for the past year with my honors chemistry classes.  It has been working absolutely great.  In fact, Mark Schmitt and I wrote a new set of functions to better keep track of significant figures in calculations. 

I will be moving to Milwaukee this summer and teaching at Carroll College in the fall.  So far, I am meeting resistance from the IT people when I tell them  I want to install a WebWork server.  They do not support Linux.  They have one Unix server, but are hesitant to install WebWork and supporting applications on it.  Basically, it is a Windows IT group.

If I cannot convince them to install a WebWork system, is there an institution that would allow me to remotely host my classes?  I do have some custom function files that would need to be loaded...  University of Rochester?

Thanks,

Andrew

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Remote hosting of webwork?  blueArrow
4/20/2004; 9:52:12 AM (reads: 2917, responses: 0)
We can host relatively small classes (say up to about 100) on our server at Rochester. Just send us an email and we can set it up. It may take a week or so.

--Mike

userAndrew J. Grall - Re: Remote hosting of webwork?  blueArrow
4/20/2004; 9:54:24 AM (reads: 2895, responses: 0)
Does anyone have any advice to convince "stubborn" IT departments to install WebWork?

4/20/2004; 12:15:00 PM (reads: 2869, responses: 0)
I also assume that there is no way to get a WebWork server running on a Windows machine, right?

4/20/2004; 12:31:43 PM (reads: 2908, responses: 0)
At the moment that is true. It runs on Macs (using OS X, it will not run under classic) and on unix machines. It should be possible to port it to run under any operating system that can use an apache server, but it would take some work and no-one has done it yet, as far as I am aware.

-- Mike

4/20/2004; 12:38:27 PM (reads: 2884, responses: 0)
Hmmm... seems like something that could be useful... especially for people who have "Windows-only" IT departments to deal with.  I wonder if we could convince a small group of people to take on this task...

4/20/2004; 3:25:30 PM (reads: 2911, responses: 0)
Robert Van Dam, a student who has worked for us in the past and will be working for us again this summer, has come close to a port for Windows NT. There are a couple of items that need work first, but this means that there is some hope that we would have a version that works on NT by the mid July. -- it will probably still need some help in testing it and adapting it to other versions of Windows.

userJan-Åke Larsson - Re: Remote hosting of webwork?  blueArrow
4/21/2004; 10:14:25 AM (reads: 2887, responses: 0)
Christian Schenk has hinted at a port of dvipng for MiKTeX, so dvipng under Windows may not be a big problem.

4/21/2004; 11:08:08 AM (reads: 2913, responses: 0)
Perhaps we should keep a thread going with updates on develpoing a Windows port of WebWork...

5/20/2004; 2:48:09 PM (reads: 2830, responses: 0)
Are there any updates on a Windows port?