Forum archive 2000-2006

Eugene (Bud) Boman - typset2 display problems in Debian, new install

Eugene (Bud) Boman - typset2 display problems in Debian, new install

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopictypset2 display problems in Debian, new install topic started 5/19/2004; 12:21:32 PM
last post 5/21/2004; 2:55:17 PM
userEugene (Bud) Boman - typset2 display problems in Debian, new install  blueArrow
5/19/2004; 12:21:32 PM (reads: 1154, responses: 3)

Hi,

I'm doing a new install of WW 1.9.02 on a Debian system (woody). Everything seems to work just fine except  the typset2 display mode -- naturally.

When I open up a problem with *.png images I get the following compiler warnings below.

typset, formatted, and text seem to work ok. I get the first warning (about an uninitialized value in Global.pm) on every page after I log in.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Bud Boman

PS The URL is http://pine.ds.psu.edu/webwork/demoCourse if you'd like to see for yourself.

Compiler warnings:

* Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//Global.pm line 821.
##More details:
-------- Global::log_info called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 158

--------------------------------------

* /usr/bin/latex ecb5-prob4image.tex >>/dev/null 2>>/dev/null -- FAILED in ImageGenerator returned 256 at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//ImageGenerator.pm line 189.
##More details:
-------- ImageGenerator::render called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 470

* /usr/local/bin/dvipng -x1000 -bgTransparent -Q6 -mode ljfivemp -D600 ecb5-prob4image.dvi >>/dev/null 2>>/dev/null -- FAILED in ImageGenerator.pm returned 32512 at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//ImageGenerator.pm line 192.
##More details:
-------- ImageGenerator::render called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 470

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: typset2 display problems in Debian, new install  blueArrow
5/19/2004; 4:26:16 PM (reads: 1356, responses: 0)
This error:
* Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//Global.pm line 821.
##More details:
-------- Global::log_info called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 158

is caused by not having $logAccessData defined A(you can set it to zero).

It's usual definition (around line 179) is

# The access log is stored in the logs/ directory under the system directory
# in a file called "access_log". It contains information about virtually
# every action committed by users, including all answers submitted.
# Usually this information is unneccessary, and the file becomes
# large very quickly, so this log is ordinarily turned off. However, the
# information it contains might be useful if, for example, a student wants an
# extension and claims not to have viewed the correct answers. Set to 1 to
# enable the access log; set to 0 to disable.
$logAccessData = 0;

You may have an old version of Global.pm, you might like to get a newer copy from the cvs (http://cvs.webwork.rochester.edu) it will be in the system/lib dircectory.

For

* /usr/bin/latex ecb5-prob4image.tex >>/dev/null 2>>/dev/null -- FAILED in ImageGenerator returned 256 at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//ImageGenerator.pm line 189.
##More details:

Your copy of ImageGenerator is a little out of date as well. (The newest versions reside at pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/ImageGenerator.pm instead of the address above.) However if you look at line 189 you can edit it to allow either 0 or 256 as an ok answer. (Newer versions of ImageGenerator have this done already)

See http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/discuss/msgReader$1593#1594

You can also search on dvipng or ImageGenerator on this page (left margin) for more discussion about getting this working. Your last error may go away once the first two have been resolved.

--Mike

userEugene (Bud) Boman - Re: typset2 display problems in Debian, new install  blueArrow
5/20/2004; 2:16:43 PM (reads: 1340, responses: 0)

Thanks Mike.  It seems the problems weren't nearly as sophisticated as I'd thought. The first was caused by me accidentally deleting the 'e' from $logAccessData in Global.pm and the second occurred because I hadn't installed preview.sty.

Duh! and double duh!!

Oh, well. Ordinarily I'd never publicly admit to being so dumb, but I encountered another error after I'd fixed these two. I fixed this third one on my own by following your advice and making intelligent use of the search engine (thank you again--I hadn't noticed it before) but I'd like to confirm that the solution I came up with won't cause me more problems later. 

Briefly:  while compiling dvipng (1.0) I got an "undefined reference to rpl_malloc". I went to the config.h header file and commented out the offending line and after that things seemed to work fine.

My question: Does anyone know if I've set myself up for more problems later by undefining rpl_malloc? If so, what problems should I anticipate?

WeBWorK seems to be working fine now, but I haven't had a chance to check it out thoroughly yet?

Thanks in advance,

Bud

userJan-Åke Larsson - Re: typset2 display problems in Debian, new install  blueArrow
5/21/2004; 2:55:17 PM (reads: 1332, responses: 0)
No problems. It seems you do not have a GNU C library-compatible "malloc".  That is: malloc(0) does not give a valid pointer. Autoconf notices this and wants a replacement malloc. Bah, I don't need that anyway. I'll just remove the test. Thanks.

Jan-Åke