Forum archive 2000-2006

Thomas Hagedorn - Problem Library, redux

Thomas Hagedorn - Problem Library, redux

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicProblem Library, redux topic started 7/21/2004; 5:52:29 PM
last post 7/23/2004; 3:32:51 PM
userThomas Hagedorn - Problem Library, redux  blueArrow
7/21/2004; 5:52:29 PM (reads: 1114, responses: 4)
Hi,

We're *still* having difficulty getting any problems to show up in our Webwork2 system. We're using the version of Webwork2 from 7/13/04, so almost the last version before the release last week.

We are still using gdbm and not mySQL.

We have global.conf version 1.91 and we have changed the command $coursefiles{problibs}=""; to $coursefiles{problibs}= {rochester => "Rochester"} in global.conf and added it to course.conf for the course test_course.

We have put a link in /local/webwork2/courses/test_course/templates named rochester which points to the problems which are stored in the directory

/local/webwork2/templates

using the command

ln -s /path/to/templates rochester

(ln -s /path/to/local/webwork2/templates rochester doesn't help either)

Finally, all the problems (sorted into directories) are in the directory

/local/webwork2/templates

It looks like we have all our ducks in a row, but still we don't see any *mathematical* problems when using the "Library Browser" command.

Any ideas on what we should do next?

Thanks, Tom

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Problem Library, redux  blueArrow
7/21/2004; 9:17:38 PM (reads: 1326, responses: 0)
Let's check the link first.

In the directory /local/webwork2/courses/test_course/templates

use this command

ln -s /local/webwork2/templates rochester

To check this do

cd rochester

you should arrive in the directory for the rochester problems.

In the Library Browser, a button labeled "Rochester" should appear on the second line. The first line has the buttons Problem Library, "local Problems" and "From this course". Click on "select a problem collection" and you should see many entries of the form "rochester/setAlgebra.... etc.

If this is not working, reset the variable in global.conf

$coursefiles{problibs}= true;

Now those entries "rochester/setAlgebra..." should appear under the "local Problems" (press "select a problem collection" button to see them)

The Problem Library button won't work until you get mysql installed.

The other thing to check is to make sure that the rochester problem library directory can be read by the webserver.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-- Mike

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Problem Library, redux  blueArrow
7/22/2004; 1:07:12 AM (reads: 1298, responses: 0)
Thanks Mike,

I can now see the directory of problems. It was in fact the link that wasn't working. I'm pretty mystified as I thought I had used your

ln -s /local/webwork2/templates rochester

command earlier today and it too didn't work. But it did the trick and now the "Rochester" button shows up when you use the "Library Browser" command. I can see the individual problem sets, but alas, not the problems as it looks like we have a permission problem with webwork not being able to write to

/local/webwork2/logs /local/webwork2/tmp

I'll have our root user change those permissions tomorrow and hopefully, we'll be able to see the problems.

Thanks again, -Tom

userMichael Gage - Re: Problem Library, redux  blueArrow
7/22/2004; 8:07:23 AM (reads: 1306, responses: 0)
It's possible that you may need to create those directories as well. If so, let us know on the list so we can add that instruction to the setup. (We could also make it automatic, but we are trying to be a bit conservative about the disk access available to the server.) The server needs read and write privileges inside those directories.

--Mike

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Problem Library, redux  blueArrow
7/23/2004; 3:32:51 PM (reads: 1314, responses: 0)
Changing the permissions solved the problem. The problem was that the system administrator set up some directories as "root" and webwork couldn't write to them. But now it's working and we can see problems.

Thanks, Tom