Forum archive 2000-2006

Thomas Hagedorn - Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets

Thomas Hagedorn - Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicStudents not automatically assigned Homework Sets topic started 7/23/2004; 3:31:01 PM
last post 7/23/2004; 8:17:33 PM
userThomas Hagedorn - Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets  blueArrow
7/23/2004; 3:31:01 PM (reads: 1026, responses: 3)
How does one configure Webwork2 so all students are automatically assigned a problem set? When I try the demo courses at Rochester and I create a problem set, it is automatically assigned to all students in the class. But in our home installation, I have to do the additional step of clicking on the "Determine who the set is assigned to" link on the "Set Data" page, and then assigning the set to all students in the set.

Thanks, Tom

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets  blueArrow
7/23/2004; 4:56:30 PM (reads: 1300, responses: 0)
I just tried creating a set using the demo course maa102, and it only assigned the set to me. Which demo course were you using?

As far as I know, the library browser gives you the option to assign new sets to yourself (via a JavaScript popup), but it never assigns a new set to other users.

John might be able to shed some more light on this.

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets  blueArrow
7/23/2004; 6:01:42 PM (reads: 1295, responses: 0)
Sorry, Sam, my mistake! I just looked at the set I created in maa101 and I was mistaken. Only practice1 was assigned the problem set and not the other students.

But is there a way to have the students automatically assigned to the set when it is created? Or could one have a checkoff on the same screen as the open-date/close-date/answer-date info to automatically assign students to the sets?

Thanks, Tom

userMichael Gage - Re: Students not automatically assigned Homework Sets  blueArrow
7/23/2004; 8:17:33 PM (reads: 1265, responses: 0)
Hi Tom,

We probably don't want students immediately assigned to sets when it is created. Creating sets initially is analogous to creating a set in a "private" course and experimenting with it until we get it right. You don't want to assign this immediately to the class.

You can assign the set to all students via two clicks from the "Hmwk set editor". Click on the "assigned users" -- this takes you to a page where you can assign that problem set to all students (or to just some of them) or even go one click further to edit the assignment individually for the student.

Assigning 10 sets to all students would take a bit of time by this method. You might want to do something like this at the beginning of course. Notice, however, that when you add new students to the course then you can assign them to all active sets. So, if you set up your initial sets first and then add the students you can automatically assign all of the sets to each student as they are added to the course. This includes students that you add late to the course.

The other facility you should check out is the "Set Assigner" link, where you can assign arbitrarily chosen sets to arbitrarily chosen students -- there are filters to allow choosing only students in a given section, etc.

One final feature. The "visible/invisible" flag allows you to hide sets which you have prematurely assigned to students. All of the data is preserved, but the students can't see that problem set.

I think between these two facilities you'll find features that work the way you do, but if not, describe what you'd like and once the dust settles and people have had a chance to explore the existing features we'll explore the possibilities of adding more methods for manipulating the student data, or change the existing methods. User interface issues usually take a while, and much user input, to sort out correctly.

-- Mike