Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - rochester set0 first problem

Lars Jensen - rochester set0 first problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicrochester set0 first problem topic started 8/30/2004; 12:47:00 PM
last post 8/31/2004; 9:57:41 AM
userLars Jensen - rochester set0 first problem  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 12:47:00 PM (reads: 1142, responses: 4)
Hi,

When viewed in the library browser, it appears that paperHeaderFile0.pg shows up as the first problem in rochester_problib/set0 (the screenheader appear as the last problem in the set).

This causes errors when trying to print pdf's.

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: rochester set0 first problem  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 5:59:43 PM (reads: 1363, responses: 0)
I am confused - you can't print pdf from Library Browser.

If you import the set and assign it to your self, can you do the problems normally? Can you get pdf?

John

userLars Jensen - Re: rochester set0 first problem  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 7:21:33 PM (reads: 1367, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Right - I did save them as a set, and the set can't print the set. The paper and screen headers appear as first and last problem for some reason. (I downloaded set0 from cvs, and the headers pop up in the set0 directory.)

Lars.

userJohn Jones - Re: rochester set0 first problem  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 11:05:57 PM (reads: 1392, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

I suspect that there is a set0.def which could be imported, and this would give the Rochester set0 as they intended. In particular, it has a non-standard set header. The information of a problem set is more than the list of files, so I wouldn't expect a directory listing from the Library Browser to reproduce previous sets exactly.

Here, when scanning the directory, it picked up a set header file (or two). It also probably missed a problem which is normally part of set 0 because it was in a subdirectory with graphics. I guess the upshot is that you can't rely on files found in a directory to be a usable set.

I can see several potential changes which might help. One would be for the Library Browser to skip all header files. Actually, I thought it already did that, but maybe I am mistaken (or maybe that was added in a more recent version). The downside of skipping them, is that then it is hard to preview any header files just sitting on disk.

Another change would be for it to pick up subdirectories if they have a single .pg file in them, and treat them as if they are in the parent directory. I expect a future version of the Library Browser to do this thanks to Davide Cervone.

John

userMichael Gage - Re: rochester set0 first problem  blueArrow
8/31/2004; 9:57:41 AM (reads: 1409, responses: 0)
Just delete the two "header" files from the set, using the Hmwk sets editor. They are stored in the same directory because they go with the set, but they are not problems in the set and are not meant to be included in the list of problems

I slightly prefer the header files of the form setHeader.pg , because they act exactly like .pg problems and will work in either HTML or TeX mode. You can put them into the middle of sets as problems, although they don't make much sense.

The advantage of having separate versions for header files, one for TeX output and one for HTML output, is that they are somewhat easier to edit, particularly for someone who knows HTML, but not TeX. The downside is that the information has to be inserted in two files. Support for editing the TeX version of header files is, at the moment, mininal.

Perhaps someone can rewrite the setHeader.pg file so that it is easier to modify for newbies, but it can still be used for both HTML and TeX output. That might provide the advantages of both methods.