WeBWorK Main Forum

Ubuntu Live DVD

Ubuntu Live DVD

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Number of replies: 2
I was just going to ask why the Ubuntu DVD comes with a root account enabled. Ubuntu doesn't automatically, and there certainly is no need of one (I have webwork installed right now on Ubuntu server Hardy). Getting rid of it would mean that there's only one account with root privs (and therefore, one password).

If the issue is just needing a root shell, rather than typing sudo all the time, you can use 'sudo -s' or 'sudo -i' to achieve the same thing.

BTW, are there any plans of moving this to either a proper forum or a proper newgroup? This one rather... well, it sucks, mostly, I'm guessing, because it seems like a hack onto webwork's courses.
In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: Ubuntu Live DVD

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Xiong,

There is a root account because I am used to having one. If you don't like it
issue the following command:
sudo passwd -l root
The forum is not a hack onto webwork's courses, rather it is a hack onto moodle's courses. Do you know of better forum software (e.g. Media Wiki) that easily supports mathematics via e.g. jsmath?

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

Re: Ubuntu Live DVD

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Howdy! I know that you can disable the root account (though I didn't know the command for it, thanks!). I was just wondering why it was there, since Ubuntu doesn't come with it by default, and then you have to instruct users to change the passwords of two accounts instead of one, especially since the user account has sudo privs! It seems like it might be a better choice to leave people with only one account to deal with; however, I have no knowledge of the process you're using to create the liveDVD, so if it's based off of an installation you have to use, then I understand.

Regarding forums, I briefly talked this over with Michael Gage in another thread (look at sidenote 1 in my 2nd post). As I indicated there, I haven't administrated any forums, only used them. Based on what I was seeing here and my difficulties in determining how to use it (mostly as far as registration), I was guessing it was a hack on something. I didn't really understand what Moodle was at all (I actually need to look more into that now).
How often are mathematics actually used in these forums? I've only had a brief look, but it seems like [code] tags are the only thing beyond a basic forum that are needed.
It appears that there is a plugin for phpBB to support jsMath, btw.
While MediaWiki certainly has math support, it's not really meant to be used as a forum, and doing so tends to create problems. If you've been active in discussions and such on Wikipedia, you'll know what I mean. There's really no way to subscribe to new messages in a topic, or to really *have* a topic in the first place (you have to create subpages and have them included in). People always forget to sign messages, leading to a SineBot that patrolls RC and adds signatures! On the whole, I'd rather use this, as it is at least a forum, rather than a wiki.