WeBWorK Main Forum

scoring

scoring

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 4
With hundreds of students entered into one webwork account, what is your preferred method of exporting the grades? Because I had access to just my students, I essentially sorted alphabetically and just transcribed the score. As I move to this consolodation, is there an easier way for each teacher to view his grades while ignoring the suplerfluous students?

Thanks again!

Nick Pero
Mathematics Teacher
Cypress Bay High School
In reply to Arnold Pizer

Re: scoring

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Nick,

The grades are in a csv (comma separated values) file which is a
standard spreadsheet (e.g. Excel) format. Since the students will be
in sections, first sort by section and then
alphabetically.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Arnold Pizer -
IM sorry to keep asking you so many questions. I've been playing with it and I found what you meant by sorting by section then last name. However, when I go to "scoring tools" and score a set, the file, when opened in excel, is not sorted like that. It is always sorted by last name only.

I've been scoring the sets like this: Student Progress, then I select the appropriate problem set, then I sorted by recitation, then copied the grades manually from this page into our electronic gradebook. As I will probably administer training at my school this week, and anticipate lots of questions, can you walk me through exactly how you grade, lets say your 8:00 section of Math 162?

Since in high school, we have periods, would you suggest entering our last name for section and period number under recitation to make sorting easier when there any more different teachers' students entered?

Until the next email..... :)
Thanks!

Nick Pero
Mathematics Teacher
Cypress Bay High School
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Nick,

I have been traveling and somehow missed this email.

First I would suggest using e.g. Smith 7 for Smith's 7th period class and I would put this in the section not recitation (reason below). Then when you use scoring tools to score you will get an Excel file in csv (comma separated variable) format which is a standard format. Click file manager and it will come up viewing the templates directory. Click the tiny up arrow next to "templates" and you will get to the course directory. Then click scoring and you will be in the scoring directory. From there you can download the scoring file (..._totals.csv) to your own computer and then open it in Excel (or any other spreadsheet program). Then sort it however you want (e.g. section first., last name second, first name third). You can then if you want upload (a presumably modified) file back to the scoring directory. I do this to email individual letter grades to my students.

The reason I suggest you use sections is that if you wish you can have student feedback go only to the teacher of the student' section's. If your interested in this, ask me how to do it. Also I am going to post this on the forum at
webwork.maa.org since others may have the same question. It's a good place to ask questions --- you will get faster answers.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Michael Gage -
I've been playing with it and I found what you meant by sorting by section then last name. However, when I go to "scoring tools" and score a set, the file, when opened in excel, is not sorted like that. It is always sorted by last name only.

I believe that you can use the sorting feature in Excel or another spread sheet program to re-sort by the section column once you have loaded the .csv file into Excel. Excel also provides many more options for sorting and for calculating averages of the homework grades.

The "scoring" features of WeBWorK are basically to allow the export of WeBWorK data to a standard spread sheet application or gradebook. WeBWorK itself does not itself have a full featured gradebook since these features are better provided by standard spread sheets and specialized gradebooks