Forum archive 2000-2006

Ben Pollina - Graphics in hardcopy

Ben Pollina - Graphics in hardcopy

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicGraphics in hardcopy topic started 9/7/2004; 2:29:49 AM
last post 9/8/2004; 11:31:11 PM
userBen Pollina - Graphics in hardcopy  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 2:29:49 AM (reads: 1459, responses: 5)
When I generate hardcopy of a problem set in WW2 which has more than one graphic image, all the images are the same. It appears that the last image generated is being substituted for all the others. These are stored images not on the fly graphics.

I'm not sure, but I think it's happening because these images have the same name (fig.gif) but lie in different directories of our problem library. I'm guessing that the hardcopy generator gets the images from a cache which is overwriting the previous images because of the naming convention I've chosen.

Is there a solution here other than my renaming all my graphics files?

Ben Pollina

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Graphics in hardcopy  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 7:32:56 AM (reads: 1728, responses: 0)
Hi Ben,

Could you point me to a url where I can download one of the hardcopies to see the problem? It's possible that for some reason the directory part of the address is being left blank. Your explanation is also a possibility, although we haven't run into it yet -- and I use names like fig1.png a lot in problems.

-- Mike

userBen Pollina - Re: Graphics in hardcopy  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 5:37:36 PM (reads: 1720, responses: 0)
Mike,

Here is one example.

Go to http://math.hartford.edu:8200/webwork2/M240Pollina/.

Login as practice1 and print setChapter9Section3.

Ben Pollina

9/8/2004; 11:25:02 AM (reads: 1718, responses: 0)
Mike,

I looked a little further at this. The images in the above problem set are stored as gif files. It looks like they are being converted to png files as part of the hardcopy generation process. Am I right about this? If so, I think this may be where the overwrite occurs because in the /tmp/gif directory I find both images but in the /tmp/png I find only the second one with a name that makes no reference to a directory.

Ben

userMichael Gage - Re: Graphics in hardcopy  blueArrow
9/8/2004; 11:41:01 AM (reads: 1718, responses: 0)
This sounds like a good clue. The pdftex program only works with .pdf and .png files, so the other graphs need to be converted to one or the other.

One thing to check is to erase the contents of the gif and png directories (or save them to some other place if you want to be cautious) and download a hardcopy. Now inspect the directories and see what has been created. It might be that one of the .png files is not being properly created.

Another test is to convert the .gif files in the problem set to .png files -- either add the .png versions alongside the .gif files or add the .png versions and move the .gif files to a safe place. See if that solves the problem. I dimmly remember that I had to do something like this at one point as a workaround and I don't know whether that is still true or not.

9/8/2004; 11:31:11 PM (reads: 1717, responses: 0)
Mike,

It looks like the overwrite is what's happening. Converting form gif to png corrected the problem.

Thanks.

Ben