Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Answers available to students before due date

Lars Jensen - Answers available to students before due date

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicAnswers available to students before due date topic started 9/7/2004; 2:42:38 AM
last post 9/8/2004; 2:02:06 PM
userLars Jensen - Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 2:42:38 AM (reads: 1356, responses: 5)
Hi,

Students can get answers to each assigned problem before the due date by checking the "Show correct answers" checkbox and then clicking the "Check answers" button!!

Can I disable the "Show correct answers" checkbox globally for all courses until this has been fixed?

We run the latest stable version 2 cvs.

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 7:29:00 AM (reads: 1543, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

Double check the due date on these problem. Students are supposed to be able to see the "show correct answers" checkbox after the due date. We aren't seeing this phenomenon on the courses we are running here.

If you can point me at an example with a practice user in it, I can also see for myself.

-- Mike

userLars Jensen - Re: Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 10:50:56 AM (reads: 1574, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

This problem was reported to me from another instructor, and I was able to confirm the behavior when I login as the instructor and then act as a student. The "Show correct answers" checkbox is then available before the due date in this case, and student answers are shown. It does appear that when I login as the student directly, the "Show correct answers" checkbox goes away...

Thanks, Lars.

userMichael Gage - Re: Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 12:31:02 PM (reads: 1595, responses: 0)
This is the expected behavior. The permissions, in general are attached to the actual user, not the "effective user" which means the person you are acting as. This is usually a good thing. For example, an instructor might like to act as a student, see what the student's problem looks like and make sure that the answer expected by the computer is correct. For that the instructor needs abilities (check answer) which are not available to the student herself.

The only downside is that the instructor doesn't get the EXACT experience that the student does, but has to mentally compensate for the differences. Mostly the differences are predictable. When acting as a student you can check answers but not submit them, you get the check correct answer check box and you have an instructors along the side, not just the student links. -- Mike

userSam Hathaway - Re: Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 3:12:57 PM (reads: 1555, responses: 0)
There is extensive discussion of this issue in bug #541, "problem submission options for professor should be as similar as possible to students".

userLars Jensen - Re: Answers available to students before due date  blueArrow
9/8/2004; 2:02:06 PM (reads: 1591, responses: 0)
Hi Sam and Mike,

Thanks so much for the answers. We confirmed that the "Show correct answers" is not present when a student logs in.

Lars.