Forum archive 2000-2006

David Martens - Installing on OS X

David Martens - Installing on OS X

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicInstalling on OS X topic started 9/1/2005; 1:34:17 PM
last post 9/27/2005; 7:11:23 PM
userDavid Martens - Installing on OS X  blueArrow
9/1/2005; 1:34:17 PM (reads: 749, responses: 3)
I'm investigating WebWork for use by our high school math department. We are an all mac site & would like to stick with that platform. Anyone have an installation successfully running on Tiger yet? Are there detailed installation instructions available? What is performance like?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userHal Sadofsky - Re: Installing on OS X  blueArrow
9/12/2005; 9:23:42 PM (reads: 807, responses: 2)
Hi David,

I've intalled on Panther (but haven't done much serious testing). I've tried to install on Tiger, but I've had problems, specifically one of the needed perl modules won't compile. I don't know if that is the only problem.

I've put detailed notes on the tWiki on the InstallNotes page: http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/InstallNotes.

Update: I've now had WeBWorK running on a Tiger machine for a couple of weeks, and we are through the first week of classes. I just finally updated the InstallNotes referenced above to reflect what I had to do to get things to work. I hope the intervening weeks between installing and rewriting the InstallNotes didn't cause any inaccuracies to creep into my notes!

Hal

userDavid Martens - Re: Installing on OS X  blueArrow
9/23/2005; 10:59:44 AM (reads: 844, responses: 1)
Have you attempted using Fink to install the Data::UUID perl module?

userHal Sadofsky - Re: Installing on OS X  blueArrow
9/27/2005; 7:11:23 PM (reads: 900, responses: 0)
I did try doing that. I was able to install the module, but then I had other errors (which I didn't record, and didn't succeed in diagnosing).

But that may have been another good way to go.

In the end, I was able to alter the source for Data::UUID following very useful advice from Davide Cervone. See http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/discuss/msgReader$3566

Hal