Forum archive 2000-2006

Bill Ziemer - cvs problems

Bill Ziemer - cvs problems

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopiccvs problems topic started 9/18/2005; 3:56:24 PM
last post 9/18/2005; 11:02:09 PM
userBill Ziemer - cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 3:56:24 PM (reads: 577, responses: 5)
When I ran: wwcvs update everything seems to update correctly except that I get the warning:

cvs update: warning: cannot write to history file /webwork/cvs/system/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied

Also, more to the problem, the changed files have lines like:

<<<<<<< Stats.pm
debug("Begin obtaining problem records for user $student set $setName");
=======
debug("Begin obtaining problem records for set $setName");
>>>>>>> 1.58

which completely screws functionality. In my previous experience with cvs, that was in the changelog, what am I doing wrong?

I am using "option 1" from the Wiki. CVSROOT is not explicitly set, and the contents of webowork2/CVS/Root is

:ext:anoncvs@cvs.webwork.rochester.edu:/webwork/cvs/system

<| Post or View Comments |>

userBill Ziemer - Re: cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 4:31:55 PM (reads: 648, responses: 0)
I think I got everything straightened out. I reran wwcvs update -r 2-1-patches got a conflict with only one file (C Stats.pm), deleted everything between the <<<< and >>>> lines in that file, ran the update again and got: M Stats.pm. Whew. Probably not the best approach, but it worked.

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 5:54:24 PM (reads: 660, responses: 0)
I think you will have deleted too much if you eliminate everything from <<<< to >>>>. When files have been modified locally, and someone makes changes in the CVS repository, then when you do a cvs update, cvs will try to merge the repository changes into the copy you have modified. But sometime it can't figure out how to make those changes. The line you quote above, which is
<<<<<<< Stats.pm 
debug("Begin obtaining problem records for user $student set $setName");
=======
debug("Begin obtaining problem records for set $setName");
>>>>>>> 1.58
Says that the local copy of Stats.pm has the first debug line in it and that that was a local edit (i.e., it is not the line that is supposed to be there in the version you ahve checked out), while the new version (1.58) has the second debug line. CVS can't tell if the new line from the CVS repository should be used, or the edited line from your copy, so it flags the problem and asks you to resolve it. The cvs update command should have given some sort of warning like "conflicts exist" and marked the file with a "C". That is your clue to the fact that you have to edit that file by hand and look for the <<<< and choose what should really be there.

If you delete from <<<< to >>>> you will remove BOTH choices, and that will mean that some code is now missing from your version of the file (after all, one or the other of the two choices should probably be there). In this case, since it is a debug call, that probably is OK, but in general, this would not be a good way to resolve the problem.

The fact that you now see "M Stats.pm" means that your copy of Stats.pm has local modifications (namely the missing debug command). Unless you are really meaning to have modified versions of the webwork files, you probably don't want to see "M" indicators on any files. If you want to get a "clean" copy, you can always delete the .pm file and update again; that should check out a fresh copy from the repository with no local edits. (Of course, if you HAVE been modifying your copies of the files, you should expect to see "M" listings.)

Hope that helps.

Davide

userBill Ziemer - Re: cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 10:10:24 PM (reads: 628, responses: 0)
That does help, thanks very much! Any insight into the permission denied warnings? I thought it meant that anoncvs does not have write permissions on the cvs.webwork server, but am not sure and don't want to ignore something I shouldn't.

userMichael Gage - Re: cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 11:01:16 PM (reads: 624, responses: 0)
You can ignore permission denied message. I'm pretty sure it just means that when you checkout anonymously the checkout can't be recorded in the history log. It's annoying and we should fix it on the server here (we need to set the permission correctly for the anoncvs pseudo-user somehow) , but you don't need to worry about it.

-- Mike

userMichael Gage - Re: cvs problems  blueArrow
9/18/2005; 11:02:09 PM (reads: 644, responses: 0)
You can ignore permission denied message. I'm pretty sure it just means that when you checkout anonymously the checkout can't be recorded in the history log. It's annoying and we should fix it on the server here (we need to set the permission correctly for the anoncvs pseudo-user somehow) , but you don't need to worry about it.

-- Mike