Forum archive 2000-2006

Louis Zulli - SMTP Authentication

Louis Zulli - SMTP Authentication

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicSMTP Authentication topic started 12/23/2006; 3:21:38 PM
last post 12/24/2006; 11:53:23 AM
userLouis Zulli - SMTP Authentication  blueArrow
12/23/2006; 3:21:38 PM (reads: 93, responses: 1)
Can I configure WebWork to send a password to the SMTP server when it attempts to send mail?

In my global.conf file I have

$mail{smtpServer} = 'mail.lafayette.edu'; $mail{smtpSender} = 'zullil@lafayette.edu';

but mail.lafayette.edu requires a password before it will send mail from zullil@lafayette.edu

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: SMTP Authentication  blueArrow
12/24/2006; 11:53:23 AM (reads: 101, responses: 0)
Louis,

Currently you cannot. We are working on a more featureful mail system. That will allow this. A workaround is to install an MTA on your local machine and configure it to accept mail from localhost via SMTP and forward it to mail.latayette.edu (your "smarthost"). Most real MTAs can supply authentication information when connecting to a smarthost. For example, here is a configuration for Exim that would work:

SMTP Relaying Via a Smarthost

There are other MTAs that are easier to set up, but You can use any MTA as long as it

Your other option is to get the jump on us and modify the places in the WeBWorK code where mail is sent. These are lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Feedback.pm, lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/SendMail.pm, and lib/WeBWorK/Utils/DelayedMailer.pm.

DelayedMailer uses Net::SMTP, which doesn't support authentication. You can swap this out for Net::SMTP_auth, which does. The other two modules use Mail::Sender, which does support authentication. See http://search.cpan.org/~jenda/Mail-Sender-0.8.13/Sender.pm#auth.

Depending on your levels of programming and system administration skill, one or the other solution ought to be easier.

See: http://bugs.webwork.rochester.edu/show_bug.cgi?id=1155

<| Post or View Comments |>