Forum archive 2000-2006

Andras Balogh - cannot unassign

Andras Balogh - cannot unassign

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopiccannot unassign topic started 12/28/2006; 4:00:48 PM
last post 12/29/2006; 10:16:22 AM
userAndras Balogh - cannot unassign  blueArrow
12/28/2006; 4:00:48 PM (reads: 56, responses: 4)
I cannot seem to unassign any students/problem sets for any of my WeBWorK classes. Where should I start investigating this problem?

Andras

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: cannot unassign  blueArrow
12/28/2006; 11:31:50 PM (reads: 60, responses: 0)
I may need some more information about this. Unassigning sets while students are working on them or are planning to use them in the future is risky -- all information is lost and there is no way to undo the deletion. Hence there is a safety switch on this page:

There is NO undo for this function. Do not use it unless you know what you are doing! When you unassign a student using this button, or by unchecking their name, you destroy all of the data for homework set MAAtutorial for this student. *Read only *Allow unassign

Unless you click the "allow unassign" button no student data will be lost. Perhaps this was the problem? If not give me more information about which page (url) you are on and what happens when you try to unassign a problem to a student.

-- Mike

userAndras Balogh - Re: cannot unassign  blueArrow
12/29/2006; 12:15:09 AM (reads: 55, responses: 0)
Mike,

I am using Version 2.1.4. Maybe I should update my WeBWorK installation?

In the "Set Assigner" menu I selected a student on the left and a set on the right.

I don't have the same message/button that you describe.

I have buttons
* Assign selected sets to selected users
* Unassign selected sets from selected users

Followed by the text
Do not unassign students unless you know what you are doing. There is NO undo for unassigning students.

When you unassign a student's name, you destroy all of the data for that problem set for that student. You will then need to reassign the set(s) to these students and they will receive new versions of the problems. Make sure this is what you want to do before unassigning students.

---------------

Andras

userMichael Gage - Re: cannot unassign  blueArrow
12/29/2006; 9:07:54 AM (reads: 49, responses: 0)
I see -- you are looking at a different method of unassigning students than I was. For a work around for now do the following:
1. Go to the Homework Sets editor page
2. Click in the "edit assigned users" column in the row of the set you want to modify.
3. Do your unassignment on this page.

I'll look into the "shortcut" method on the Instructor command center -- it's possible that version isn't working for unassignment. (The set Assigner page has disappeared in more recent versions since it duplicated exactly features of the "Instructor" page -- however bugs from the set assigner page may still linger in the instructor page.

I've put an alert in the bugzilla files.

-- Mike

userAndras Balogh - Re: cannot unassign  blueArrow
12/29/2006; 10:16:22 AM (reads: 41, responses: 0)
Thanks Mike,

This is a much better way for me to do both assignment and unassignment.

Andras