WeBWorK Main Forum

Student's work not recorded on webwork?

Student's work not recorded on webwork?

by Margaret Morrow -
Number of replies: 2

HI all -

a student has just e-mailed me saying that she completed the last two homework sets, but that it is not showing this on Webwork.  (On some of her previous homeworks a score is shown - so I assume she is not just logging in incorrectly.)   Question:  can this happen with Webwork?  If so, any suggestions for possible causes, and how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for input on this!

Margaret

In reply to Margaret Morrow

Re: Student's work not recorded on webwork?

by Raghu Gompa -
Margaret,

In the past, I noticed that one student had done all the work, however, she used check answer button instead of sumit button. Clicking check answer button will show whether the answer is correct or not, but will not record correct answers. You might investigate whether she used check button. It may be a possibility.

.. Raghu

In reply to Margaret Morrow

Re: Student's work not recorded on webwork?

by Davide Cervone -
I've had students press the "Guest Login" button rather than the "Continue" button and then do the assignment as a guest without knowing it.

That might have happened to your student. If you know when she thinks she did the assignment, you could check the login.log file to see if a practice user was in use at that time, and then act as that practice user to see if the problems have been completed correctly (the "Show Previous Answers" button could help).

Perhaps the buttons should be renamed; "Continue" seems particularly poor, and should probablly be "Login", while "Guest login" could be "Act as a Guest" or "Do Practice Problems" or something like that. Also, the button could be moved farther away to make it less likely to be pressed. Also, perhaps the background color should change if you are logged in as a practice user to help make it more obvious that you are not logged in as yourself.

Davide