WeBWorK Main Forum

WeBWorK Student Survey (as downloaded)

WeBWorK Student Survey (as downloaded)

by Jeff Crabill -
Number of replies: 5
The WeBWork student survey, found in

Library/Rochester/setSampleQuestionaires/WeBWorK_evaluation/WeBWorK_questionnaire_fall02.pg

on our WeBWorK server produces a very large error. I have tried in vain to look through the code and see if something is missing.

Have you seen the same thing I have? Any insight would be helpful before I start polling my students toward the end of term in a few weeks.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Crabill

Re: WeBWorK Student Survey (as downloaded)

by Raghu Gompa -
Jeff,

I have used a modified version of the survey in all my classes. I once had a major error and I had to change one of the loaded .pl files (I think it was "PGtextevaluators.pl") because of an upgrade in WeBWorK system. I can not tell you any more without knowing what kind of error you have been experiencing.

.. Raghu
In reply to Raghu Gompa

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Raghu,

I've just started looking at that survey and I plan to (modify it and) use it toward the end of our semester. Can you tell me what sort of response rate you get, and has the data been helpful?

Thanks
Jason
In reply to Jason Aubrey

by Raghu Gompa -
Dear Jason,

I would say that the response rate was about 90%. I ask my students to participate in the survey at the same time they respond to the university's survey about teaching. So they usually complete the surveys at the same time. The response has been very helpful to adapt to what was helpful through WeBWorK and to what needs to be done to improve. I am now using discussion problem (created by Davide, and I have modified to suit my needs - it is still being modified) to hear what students concerns. It is also used to promote mathematics dialogue among students.
(
You can browse through our discussion on this topic at
http://wwrk.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1949#p7858
)

I have been very happy with these tools on WeBWorK. Hope my response addresses what you are looking for.

Raghu
In reply to Jeff Crabill

by Jeff Crabill -
Raghu,

Thanks for the information. I inserted "PGtextevaluators.pl" into the code and it all works just fine!

Now I'll edit it and get the survey data.

Thank you for the tip!

Jeff