WeBWorK Main Forum

archiving courses from previous term

archiving courses from previous term

by Hal Sadofsky -
Number of replies: 4

We're on the quarter system (plus summer), so we have 4 terms per year at the end of which I want to hide courses from the previous term, and archive courses from terms before that.

Since we have about 60 courses per term, it is too tedious to do this through the web course administration interface.

Gavin LaRose was gracious enough to let me look at his Swiss Army knife of a WeBWorK course administration script. The perl code is beyond me, but it has been a useful way of learning how to do what I need to do.

Anyway, I have a very simple script that archives and deletes a bunch of courses at once, and another script that hides a bunch of courses at once.

I think these are pretty portable, so I'd like to make them available for others with similar issues. The code is clumsy and naive, so if anyone make improvements to it, I'd enjoy having the improved versions.

The scripts are here:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~sadofsky/webwork/arch-and-delete.tgz

Hal
In reply to Hal Sadofsky

Re: archiving courses from previous term

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Hal,

Those look very useful! I actually think that these types of scripts are things that we should get better disseminated.

Inspired by this, I've created a page on the Wiki under the Administration section called "Contributed Admin Scripts (Large Installations)" and took the liberty of posting your scripts. Please let me know if you have an objection to that (I took posting to the forum as tacit approval for general dissemination on the site).

I will try and get my "swiss army knife" script up there sometime soon, but in that it will require a little more documentation to make it useful that may be a little from now.

Best,
Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Jason Aubrey -
Would it be useful to have a contrib/ subdirectory in the svn repository for scripts like this? There are probably a lot of these floating around.

Authors could put documentation (or pointers to with descriptions) for the scripts on the wiki and the actual script in svn.

Jason
In reply to Jason Aubrey

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Jason,

I think this could be useful, though as you note the documentation would presumably still largely reside in the Wiki. I don't know if this would result in there being a disconnect between the scripts that are in SVN and the documentation that's available on the Wiki.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Hal Sadofsky -

Dear Gavin,

No, I certainly don't object. I've a couple other scripts that are more local that I could add (things like adding courses and adding students). They'll need changing for someone else's local conditions, and I'm not quite done with them.

(And thanks again for your script - it's been a useful tutorial!)

-Hal