Installation

Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LiveDVD

Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LiveDVD

by Dick Lane -
Number of replies: 3
This is both an error report and a description of some fixes --- corrections and improvements will be very welcome.

In my zeal to try MathJax with $WW, I did a fresh install inside a virtual machine (VMware's Fusion on an iMac) from the Ubuntu 10.04_64bit LiveDVD [thanks, Arnie, for providing it] and then followed the recipe at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Upgrading_WeBWorK

I got error messages at the Restart Apache and Test ("sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart") stage.  I then ran "check_modules.pl apache2" and discovered four items were not found in @INC (MIME::Parser, PHP::Serialization, SOAP::Lite, XMLRPC::Lite).  I invoked the "aptitude ..." command in http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/New_Installation_Manual_for_2.4_on_Ubuntu_10.04 --- it installed 17 packages (each with the comment "Selecting previously deselected package ...").  Afterwards, the "check_modules.pl apache2" command reported no problems (other than the ignorable one about tth).

Retrying the "sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart" yielded fewer error messages --- the first involved $server_root_url in conf/global.com (I guessed global.conf was intended).  I found 3 new lines in global.conf and set them as follows:
  $server_root_url = "127.0.0.1" ;  ##  localhost might work
  $server_userID = "www-data" ;
  $server_groupID = "wwdata" ;

Restarting apache went fine and I seem to have an upgraded $WW system, e.g., the admin course has an Upgrade Course tab.  I look forward to trying MathJax after I finish teaching today.
In reply to Dick Lane

Re: Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LiveDVD

by Michael Gage -
HI Dick,

That all sounds very good. I fixed the typo in the error message to read conf/global.conf

I have just added those three lines recently. It allows various setup scripts to determine for sure the user name of the server
and the url rather than trying to guess via other means. It makes it possible to give better error messages when something isn't working -- so far it seems to be successful.

The four modules you added are used in the WebworkWebservice aspect of WeBWorK. They are not vital unless you are using this aspect of WeBWorK but it is good to hear that installing those modules was fairly easy.

I'll ask Arnie to see that they are installed or referenced in the setup instructions. There is no reason to leave them out.

Thanks for the report.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Dick Lane -
Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the reassurance that I had not blundered.

A comparison of webwork2/courses.dist, old and new, shows some repairs (e..g., updating of URLs for htmlLink).  Is it safe for me to use
    cd  /opt/webwork/webwork2/courses.dist
    rsync  -a  --exclude '.svn'  modelCourse  /opt/webwork/courses/
to update the existing modelCourse ?  [to be followed by zapping its CVS directory]

Although I have never used modelCourse/templates/email/welcome.msg, I think some URLs in it need to be updated.  I have attached a draft revision.

thanks,
dick
In reply to Dick Lane

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the contributions. I replaced the welcome.msg with your template with one very minor change (the default initial password is the $SID which for many people is the same as the $LOGIN --- you just copied what was in the original welcome.msg).

You can use the rsync command to update the modelCourse. It would be cleaner to first mv (or rm) the current modelCourse directory.

The new directions for installation are at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/New_Installation_Manual_for_2.4_on_Ubuntu_10.04

I just added info on editing the three new lines about the webserver in global.conf. They already tell people to add all the modules check_modules.pl finds except tth. Once WW 2.4.9 is released, I'll update it for Ubuntu 10.10 and put it in a more prominent place.

Arnie