Installation

Looking for a good way to update

Looking for a good way to update

by Florin Catrina -
Number of replies: 2
During this winter break we would like to update our installation of WeBWorK.
The version of Ubuntu on our server is 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).
I would like to install a more recent (latest?) version of Ubuntu, and then the latest WeBWorK, and eventually other recommended things (if any).
If anyone has any advice on how we should go about this, I would appreciate it very much.
Should we start everything from scratch, or can we update over the existing versions?
Can it be done remotely? ...
Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Florin

In reply to Florin Catrina

Re: Looking for a good way to update

by Xiong Chiamiov -
If you update your sources.list to point to the newer repositories, then dist-upgrade will bring you up-to-date. Upgrading to a consecutive Ubuntu version in the Feisty-Hardy period frequently broke damn near everything. While I have heard that it's nicer now, upgrading all the way to Lucid (probably, since it's the current LTS release) will probably be more of a pain than it's worth.

Reinstalling has the benefit of making sure your backup procedures are sufficient. It's always better to find out something's wrong when you have a few weeks to fix it, rather than during the middle of the quarter when your hard drives die.
In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: Looking for a good way to update

by Sam Hathaway -
On Ubuntu, it's better to run do-release-upgrade than to simply update sources.list and dist-upgrade. It does some sanity checking and housekeeping, making upgrading somewhat safer.