WeBWorK Main Forum

Professor printing student papers without hints

Professor printing student papers without hints

by Eric Stroyan -
Number of replies: 2
If I missed how to do this somewhere, please forgive me.
I normally print out hardcopy for students and distribute it when a set opens. I have not figured out how to print student copies without hints showing. I DO NOT check the Show Hints box in the hardcopy generation page, but still get hints, and the information as to the number of tries before display.
So, bottom line I don't want hints to show in student hardcopy when I generate them. What to do?
Thanks for any advice
In reply to Eric Stroyan

Re: Professor printing student papers without hints

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Eric,

Poking around in the code, it appears that the problem is that the permission level for showing file names is also used to decide if a professor should see the hint. That is, one can say it's a feature: that professors see the hints that their students will be offered. Or one can say it's a bug: the "show hints" button might be expected to do this instead. The difficulty with the latter is that the default behavior is that hints are only shown when the number of attempts on the problem is high enough.

The best solution to this might be to change the behavior of the problem processor so that hints are only shown when the 'show hints' checkbox is checked, and then they're shown even if the problem hasn't been submitted the requisite number of times if one is acting as a student.

Does that sound correct to you?

Gavin
In reply to Eric Stroyan

Re: Professor printing student papers without hints

by Dick Lane -
I create a {me}TA account with TA permissions.  It can generate a multi-account print request which omits the hint stuff.  (I have always thought of this as a kludge, but Gavin's analysis seems to show that a more elegant fix is apt to require some deep changes in the system.)

I use that account only once per semester.  I design my first assignment to print on a single page.  I produce the stack of individualized printouts, circulate the (alphabetically ordered) stack during class telling each student to extract her/his page, then compare it with 2 or 3 neighbor's pages to see what is similar and what is different.

I will often announce a subsequent assignment by distributing a printed version --- of a Practice "student" if I allow Guest access or of a pseudo-student when Guest access is not enabled.  My printer is used to produce one document and the department's duplicator produces the multiple copies (using back-to-back printing for multi-page printouts).  Not only does this reduce costs, it provides me with repeated opportunities to encourage group work --- each student knows she/he gets a personal version of the problems, their study group can discuss solving the printed version of hard problems, but each individual will need to adapt the group's analysis to handle their own version of the assignment.  (I also remind classes, occasionally, that each student can choose to print their version using their printer.)