WeBWorK Main Forum

lock down browser?

lock down browser?

by Zak Zarychta -
Number of replies: 5
Now i'm guessing this is not a facility in WeBWork, but has anybody got any experience on locking down a browser so that only a particular address can be accessed ie such as a WeBWork test

Any help appreciated,
Zak
In reply to Zak Zarychta

Re: lock down browser?

by Jason Aubrey -
It's not a feature of WeBWorK, but you may be able to use the Respondus Lock Down Browser with WeBWorK and Moodle, or WeBWork and Blackboard when we release the Blackboard building block:

http://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown.shtml

I've never used it and I have no idea how well it works, but I know about it because my campus has a license for it.

Jason
In reply to Zak Zarychta

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Zak,

We have spent some time on this. Firefox has some extensions that work well to lock down the browser. What environment are you in? A lab or classroom of imaged computers? Are they windows machines?

Lars.

In reply to Lars Jensen

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Zak,

We manage access by having the computers in our lab boot into an operating system image that is locked down so that there are only a very limited set of applications available to students. We restrict web access to sites other than those which are connected to the test and university's login service (through which we run our WeBWorK course authentication) with a restrictive firewall.

Gavin
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Sheldon Newhouse -
Hello,
We now use WW exams in at least one of our courses.

The exams are administered in computer labs of PC's running Windows XP Professional of Windows 7 Professional. These are networked and handled by our IT services. Our Math Dept does not have administrative control of these PC's. We are exploring several possibilities for the installation of lockdown browsers which, during a specified time, will restrict browsers to the WW exam server only with a WW exam to be used. It is desired that no other program on the PC's will be allowed and no other web browser pages can be accessed.

I have personally played with the K9 web blocking software, and this works fine for single PC's, but does not seem to have a networked version with central remote administration-- ideally we would like to set restrictions on whole IP addresses at once.

I have looked at respondus and it has seemless integration with Angel and Desire2Learn, but, I don't see if it can restrict access to websites that don't use these programs.

Anyone have suggestions or examples of working systems with single restriction of a browser to WW?

-sen

In reply to Sheldon Newhouse

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Sheldon,

We have created an "exam mode" by using a proxy web filter (privoxy) to create a whitelist of allowed websites. All other websites than those on the whitelist are blocked. We also use a registry file to remove all windows programs and menus so there is "nothing" behind the browser: empty Desktop, and no Start menu. The browser is started up in kiosk mode. To set up this exam mode, the student must first login to the computer as usual. A small program is then run on the machine, and the student is logged out. The student then login again, and the computer is in exam mode. No reboot.

Our labs are imaged windows 7 computers which returns to original state when rebooted. 

Lars.