Error messages logging to admin course

Error messages logging to admin course

by Eric Stroyan -
Number of replies: 5
When trying to log in to admin course I get the following

Warning messages

Error messages

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

• in Exception::Class::Base::throw called at line 811 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::handle_error called at line 412 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::_get_fields_where_prepex called at line 380 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_fields_where called at line 476 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::listUsers called at line 209 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Login.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::Login::body called at line 152 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Template.pm
  • in WeBWorK::Template::template called at line 494 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::content called at line 198 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 370 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm
On attempting to log in using admin/admin I get:

Warning messages

Error messages

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

• in Exception::Class::Base::throw called at line 811 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::handle_error called at line 412 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::_get_fields_where_prepex called at line 380 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_fields_where called at line 440 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::get_records_where called at line 740 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/NewSQL/Std.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::NewSQL::Std::gets called at line 495 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::getUsers called at line 490 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm
  • in WeBWorK::DB::getUser called at line 321 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm
  • in WeBWorK::Authen::check_user called at line 239 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm
  • in WeBWorK::Authen::do_verify called at line 168 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm
  • in WeBWorK::Authen::verify called at line 307 of /usr/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm
Any help would be appreciated.
In reply to Eric Stroyan

Re: Error messages logging to admin course

by Michael Gage -
Eric,

What is the status of this error at this point?

There is not a lot of information in this error message, but it looks like some kind of database problem.  Toward the bottom of the stack there is a call to 
get a user in order to verify their password information. It goes rapidly downhill
from there, so I'm assuming that the database couldn't be found (or the user couldn't be found in the database) or something like that.

Can you give us any more info?

Take care,
Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Eric Stroyan -
It is still not completely clear to me what the deal is.
I was re-installing everything on the server from the ground up (New FBSD, all modules, etc.)
I suspect it has to do with something I am missing on the MySQL (5.5.15_1, I should maybe go back to 5.0.92, which worked with WW2.4.7) install/setup. I had to revert to earlier disk images to be ready for students, but I am going to try to reproduce this setup on my 'spare' server in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what I come up with.
In reply to Eric Stroyan

by Douglas Young -
I am getting the same error. I (tried) to install WW on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. I am running it as a pseudo-server to demonstrate WW to the tech support folks in my district (I am a high-school teacher). Near as I can tell, I am running MySQL 5.1.49-1. I was able to get WW to work on my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop earlier (latter part of July), which I think was around the time some changes were made (after which I had a small meltdown that caused me to have to reinstall Ubuntu 10.10 from scratch). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Douglas Young
In reply to Douglas Young

by Jason Aubrey -
As another suggestion, you can try using the wwsh script to get direct access to the $db object in the admin course. Then you can have a look at what happens in the perl debugger when you try to get the admin user that way. Have a look at:

http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/WeBWorK_shell_-_wwsh

for instructions.

Jason
In reply to Eric Stroyan

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Eric and Douglas,

I doubt that it has anything to do with the version of mysql. Sure, it's possible, but I would start by looking at your webwork configuration and then at the perl modules that interact with the database. So, my recommendations for debugging this:

(a) run webwork2/bin/check_modules.pl apache2 to make sure that you've got all of the perl modules you need. (DBI, DBD::mysql, and SQL::Abstract are relevant here.)

It might be helpful if you can turn on webwork and mysql debugging. In webwork2/lib/Constants.pm change

$WeBWorK::Debug::Enabled = 0;
$WeBWorK::Debug::Logfile = "";

and in this case you'll probably want database debugging on too, so in global.conf set

$database_debug = 1; (It's down in the Database Options section)

If nothing obvious turns up in the error log or the debug log, then you'll at least have the actual sql queries which you can test by hand in mysql to at least see if it's a mysql problem.

Another thing you could try is re-running the test suites for the DBD and DBD::mysql modules to see if they hook up with your mysql ok.

Hope this helps.
Jason