Installation

tth problem

tth problem

by Boyd Duffee -
Number of replies: 5
Hi there,

I'm just upgrading from 2.4.5 to 2.5, mostly good, but when I try to view an old problem with formattedText I get

Undefined subroutine &main::tth called at line 1673 of (eval 1762) Died within main::general_math_ev3 called at line 1635 of (eval 1762) from within main::math_ev3 called at line 1573 of (eval 1762) from within main::ev_substring called at line 1821 of (eval 1762) from within main::EV3P called at line 27 of (eval 1659)

I've found that the subroutine tth used to live in pg/macros/dangerousMacros.pl but I can't find it's replacement in 2.5. I've tried searching the forums, but not found the answer.

any suggestions?
Boyd
In reply to Boyd Duffee

Re: tth problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

tth is a deprecated display style and has been for a long time.  By default it is not an option although the hooks are still there. Virtually everyone used images and MathJax as their display options (they are both much superior to tth).

If you really want to use tth (although I can't imagine why)  look at some very old installation documentation. E.g you need the tth software (http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/).

If this doesn't help, write back and we'll try to get our memories working and give you a bit more help.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Boyd Duffee -
Hi Arnie,

Why? Because I've got a user who prefers the Formatted Text display mode, although I've set images as the default for the system. (sigh)

The subroutine doesn't exist in any of the macros or libraries in system/tags/rel-2-5-0/pg but I can find it in PG 2.4.5. I've tried copying over the dangerousMacros.pl file to the macros directory of my PG 2.5.0, but that throws up its own errors.

the program tth isn't really the problem.

cheers,
Boyd
In reply to Boyd Duffee

by Jason Aubrey -
Hi Boyd,

If the user prefers formatted text for reasons of accessibility, MathJax has some very nice accessibility features if you enable them in webwork.

http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Accessibility

Jason

(BTW, for those who are interested, tremendous progress was made on the accessibility front this summer by Rochester student Grant He. Initial scans of 2.5.0 have indicated 98% compliance with section 508 requirements. I'll be updating that wiki page soon with that information.)
In reply to Boyd Duffee

by Michael Gage -
Hi Boyd,

I didn't port the tth subroutines from dangerousMacros to PGcore and the new PGbasicmacros.pl during the (partially completed) upgrade of the PG fundamentals from perl 4 to object oriented perl 5.  I didn't port them for the reasons mentioned by Arnie.

I can probably do the port (I'll have to look at how much of the old infrastructure will have to be moved over) but I won't be able to get to this until
some time next week or next weekend.  Porting tth to maintain backward compatibility won't do any immediate harm, but itdoes allow users to live in the  past :-) and adds a bit to the overhead of maintaining the system.

It would be worth it to me to see if the user would consider MathJax or jsMath as an alternative -- to my knowledge both of these are superior to tth in every feature.  If not I'll see what can be done about maintaining tth for a little while longer, but I'd be interested in the reasons for needing tth so that I can communicate this back to the MathJax and jsMath folk; perhaps they can plug any gaps.

tth was a great protocol for the beginning of math on the web -- very much in the spirit later extended by MathJax and jsMath and orthogonal to the LaTeXtoHTML and "images" paradigm.  But I'm pretty sure it is no longer updated or maintained and may cease to work on modern browsers at some point.

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

Mathjax and accented characters

by Boyd Duffee -
Hi Mike,

Mathjax is fine except for accented characters, unless the method for dropping into Latex has changed. We're using the latex markup because we want the pdf to look nice.

Antoine de Saint-Exup\(\'{e}\)ry displays as Antoine de Saint-Exup\'ery

It appears ok under images, but the powers don't appear correctly.

thanks,
Boyd