WeBWorK Main Forum

Evaluating Answers and Randomizing

Evaluating Answers and Randomizing

by Amelia Taylor -
Number of replies: 1
Hi.

I'm very new to WeBWork and my students just completed their first assignment and this leaves me with two questions.

(1) For one of the questions the following shows what the student entered and the evaluation by WeBWork

Entered Answer Preview Result Messages
0.3333 0.3333 correct
0.2632 891ab6c36a7fb99b76e3e1773092491.png correct
0.2153 0.2153 incorrect
0.2501 4685ba2c262049124c5040b0b849811.png correct
0.2 0.2 correct
0.2381 0.2381 correct
0.2488 0.2488 correct
0.2499 0.2499 correct
0.25 0.25 correct

For the third entry, the student's answer and what WeBWork shows as the answer are the same, but it is evaluated to be incorrect. Why does this happen? For reference, I the problem is from the NPL: Library/UCSB/Stewart5_2_1/Stewart5_2_1_3.pg

(2) I am using WeBWork as a just-in-time teaching tool, not for online quizzes and traditional homework (and so I am not using it how most people use it) and for this reason, I don't need the radomizing of numbers and equations that are in most of the NPL problems, in fact it is not good in this situation. I tried modifying one problem for something else and destroyed it. So I am hoping that someone might be able to give me the phrase/code to look for to simply remove the randomization process from a problem. Maybe this is too much for now, but I'd like to learn.

Last, if someone reads this who is also using it for just-in-time teaching type uses, please let me know as we might be able to share some ideas.

Thanks,
Amelia
In reply to Amelia Taylor

Re: Evaluating Answers and Randomizing

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Amelia,

For your first question. The two columns you are looking at, Entered and Answer Preview give what the student entered and a type set version of the answer which is most useful for formulas, etc.

For this problem, the third answer is indeed incorrect. The correct answer is .2513 not 2153. As a prof you can view the correct answers anytime. Students can see them only after the answer date. 

For your second question, in problems you will see things like 
$a= random(5,10,1);
i.e. let $a be a random number from 5 to 10 with stepsize 1.
If you replace this by, e.g.
#$a= random(5,10,1);
$a= 7;
there will be no radomization for $a.  You will have to do this for all random variables.  Note that # means every that follows on that line is a comment.

Good luck with WeBWorK.

Arnie