WeBWorK Main Forum

Unexpected randomize problem behavior

Unexpected randomize problem behavior

by D. Brian Walton -
Number of replies: 2
I don't know if this is what others would expect, but it certainly caught me off-guard. I was working on a problem that used ProblemRandomize with a student. I verified that the answer was correct as an instructor acting as this student. Not thinking, I clicked the button to try a new version of the problem.

When the student went back to formally complete the problem, we found that the problem had switched to a new version online. The hard-copy of course shows the original problem. I did not expect the system to remember that I (as instructor) had ask for a new version of the problem.

Thought I'd pass this along as a warning if you ever act as student.

Sincerely,
- Brian Walton
In reply to D. Brian Walton

Re: Unexpected randomize problem behavior

by Davide Cervone -
The reason for this is that the re-randomize button is actually a "Submit Answers" button in disguise. (That is so that when students press it, the new seed will be saved.) It's true that when a professor presses it, it will also save the new seed. Now that the PG code can determine the permission level of the user, it would be possible to make the re-randomize button be a "Check Answers" button instead when a professor is acting as a student.

Would that be the better approach?

Davide
In reply to D. Brian Walton

Re: Unexpected randomize problem behavior

by Davide Cervone -
I have updated the problemRandomize.pl file to only make the rerandomization permanent when you are acting as yourself (not as a student). So students can change their own problems and you can change yours, but you can't change theirs (unless you are using the type-in or checkbox seed and hit the SUBMIT button rather than the CHECK button).

Hope that resolves your problem.

Davide