WeBWorK Main Forum

Display problems with IE8 and jsMath

Display problems with IE8 and jsMath

by Danny Glin -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,
We are running Webwork 2.4.7. One of our users just pointed out that when viewing problems in Internet Explorer 8, the typeset portions don't line up. After taking a look around, it appears that the problem only seems to occur in the jsMath display mode. It also appears to affect the majority of the problems in the NPL. As an example, the problem Library/Rochester/setAlgebra01RealNumbers/lhp1_25-30.pg shows the behaviour.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Does anyone have any suggestions?
In reply to Danny Glin

Re: Display problems with IE8 and jsMath

by Xiong Chiamiov -
jsMath's known bugs page notes that IE on Windows has many display issues, so it might be simply one of those; the suggestion there is to have the user install the TeX fonts.

I'm also not sure of the version of jsMath included in Webwork; you may be able to fix it simply by upgrading jsMath to 3.6b, if that's not the one you have installed.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Danny,

We've had trouble with IE mis-aligning the answers for multiple choice problems, and I gave up and just fell back to images mode. I didn't look to see if this is likely to be the problem you're experiencing, but it confirms the possibility that it's just an IE bug.

Gavin
In reply to Danny Glin

by Davide Cervone -
Sorry for the long delay in responding to this. I just released version 3.6e of jsMath, which includes a number of fixes for alignment problems in IE8. One of the difficulties is that IE8 has 8 different display modes (depending on the DOCTYPE and other settings within IE and the document itself), and I hadn't been testing in all of them (I didn't realize how many there actually were). Also, despite their names, none of them is actually the same as IE7 in either of its two modes, so I really need to test in 10 different modes (plus I also test in IE6, so that's 11, and in each of jsMath's 3 major fallback modes, that's 33 tests for every change!)

Anyway, I spent the last week working hard to check all the various combinations, and I think you will find the current version more reliable for IE alignment. You can update webwork2/htdocs/jsMath without updating the rest of webwork in order to get the latest version.

Davide