Installation

Installation of Webworks 2.7 and OPL from scratch on Fedora

Installation of Webworks 2.7 and OPL from scratch on Fedora

by John John -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to install Webworks 2.7 and a brand new OPL from scratch on Fedora? If so, what version of Fedora should be use and are ther any instructions online to do so? Thanks.

John

In reply to John John

Re: Installation of Webworks 2.7 and OPL from scratch on Fedora

by Arnold Pizer -
Sure, but there are  no specific instructions for the current version of Fedora. There will be sometime soon (but I won't give a definition of "soon").

If you are reasonably competent with Fedora, you shouldn't have any trouble reading http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.7_on_Ubuntu_12.04 and modifying them for use with Fefora. Reading http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.5_on_Fedora_16 will certainly help with whatever modifications are needed.

Arnie
In reply to John John

by Danny Glin -
There are some problems with WeBWorK and Fedora 18, since it uses Apache 2.4 (which has some significant changes from Apache 2.2).  For now it's probably best to stick with Fedora 17.

Jason Aubrey's WeBWorK install script has been successful on Fedora 17:
https://github.com/aubreyja/ww_install

Theoretically you should just be able to follow the instructions on that page and it will do all of the work for you, but no promises.

I have used the script on Scientific Linux 6.4 (a Red Hat Enterprise clone), and it worked well.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by John John -

We are using Fedora 17. Thanks for the info about 17 and 18.

John

In reply to John John

by John John -

One last question. I was looking at the recording for the installation. I assume the initial password to start the installer is the root password. Is that correct?

John

In reply to John John

by Danny Glin -
Are you asking about a password when you run install_webwork.sh?

If you run the command:
> bash install_webwork.sh
as root, then it shouldn't ask you for a password up front.

If you run
> sudo bash install_webwork.sh
then it will prompt for a password, which I believe must be the password of the current user.  This will only work if that user has sufficient sudoer privileges.

During the installation, it runs mysql_secure_installation which will ask you to set a mysql root password if there isn't one already set.  You will need to type that password later in the process to create the webwork database.  Later it will ask you to choose a password for the database user, which is a new password that you are creating.

I think that these are all of the passwords involved in the process.  Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Danny