WeBWorK Main Forum

Students can see grades before answer date by clicking on "Grades"..How prevent that?

Students can see grades before answer date by clicking on "Grades"..How prevent that?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 4
It seems students can see their grades before the set answer date for exams
simply by clicking on the "Grades" link.  

I had a student ask me about a grade and I was surprised since the answer date had not passed yet.

How stop that?

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Students can see grades before answer date by clicking on "Grades"..How prevent that?

by Christian Seberino -
Maybe I didn't explain the problem well enough.
Somehow a student found out their grade after taking an exam even before the answer date.
I'm not entirely sure how that happened.  That is what the problem is.

Re: Students can see grades before answer date by clicking on "Grades"..How prevent that?

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Christian,

My first reaction to what you're describing is that this sounds as if it's exactly the same behavior as we have and expect for all assignments in a course. For homework and exam/gatewayquiz assignments alike, grades are available to the students before the answer date. I think in general this is desirable, certainly for homework and in many cases probably also for exam/gatewayquiz assignments. At this instant I don't know of any way to change that behavior for any assignments, including gatewayquiz assignments

My second reaction is that you could be seeing a bug in the "show scores" setting for a test. If you have this set to "No," grades should not be reported to the students on the grades page. This is the behavior that I'm seeing on our system (WeBWorK and PG 2.7): with "Show Scores on Finished Assignments" set to "No," students do not see their grade on the grades page. I haven't checked the behavior of the setting "Only after set answer date," but the code in the Grades module makes me think that should also be working correctly.

Is that not what you are seeing?

Thanks,
Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Christian Seberino -
I never considered setting  "Show Scores on Finished Assignments" to "No" because doesn't that mean it will NEVER show scores?

Or does that just mean it won't show scores BEFORE the answer date?

cs

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Christian,

If you set it to "no" it should never show scores. If you set it to "only after set answer date" it should do what you want.

Gavin