WeBWorK Main Forum

Updating changes to a problem set

Updating changes to a problem set

by Neil Spalter -
Number of replies: 5
If a problem set is assigned to all students, and an error is identified, what do I do after I fix the error?  How do I force an update so that the students have the correct problem?
In reply to Neil Spalter

Re: Updating changes to a problem set

by Nandor Sieben -
If you fix the problem in the OPL directory of the server, then students immediately get the changed problem.

If you fixed the problem in the template directory of your course, then the changes need to be copied into the OPL directory of the server.

If someone else fixed the problem because of a bugzilla report, then the a git pull is needed in the OPL directory of the server.
In reply to Nandor Sieben

by Neil Spalter -
I fixed the problem in the template directory of my course.  How do I then copy the changes into the OPL directory of the server?  Does this need to be done manually?  Currently, the problem editing page says, "Changes in this file have not yet been permanently saved."  This seems to imply that I should be able to permanently save the changes from that page.
In reply to Neil Spalter

by Nandor Sieben -
Only the sysadmin of the server can do it.

You may suggest your changes on bugzilla and wait until someone makes the change in the OPL.
In reply to Neil Spalter

by Michael Gage -
Nandor is correct that only the sysadmin can change the problem in the library (we don't want unrefereed changes taking place there) but you can change the problem for your course.  

When you are editing the problem you need to save a new local version of the problem. This means choosing some version of "Save as"  and specifying that you want your new local copy to replace the library copy in your problem set.
This will "permanently save the changes" and make the immediately available to the students in your class.  You can upload the correction to the OPL at some later date.

No student grades are ever reduced by this procedure. So if they got 100% on an original faulty problem they will still have 100% after you have rewritten the problem.  (Experience tells us this is something we can live with. :-) )

Hope this helps.  If you need more instruction try to specify which release version of webwork you are using.  The interface for the PGProblemEditor has changed a lot over the years so it is hard to give specific instructions without knowing which interface you are looking at.

In reply to Neil Spalter

by Alex Jordan -
Hi Neil,

The message "Changes in this file have not yet been permanently saved"​ means that you hit the "view" button from the editor, and not the "save" or "save as" button. Even when they are permanently saved that way, they will be saved locally in the templates folder for that section. Those changes will immediately be seen by all students in that section, but not by students from other sections.

It's hard to give a very specific solution to your problem unless you can tell us the path of the file that you have in the problem set. (You can see this in many ways, the quickest to describe is just by being logged on as an instructor and viewing the problem as it has been assigned to you.)

If it is in your server's OPL directory, you actually cannot edit it from a course's problem editor. You have to copy those edits into the OPL version from a command line.

If the problem set is instead pointing to a local copy of the problem in the course's template folder, then you would need to make the same edits to each course's template folder (which is why it can be nicer to use the OPL or to make your own Library like the OPL that is managed from the command line.)