WeBWorK Main Forum

Force multiple line breaks

Force multiple line breaks

by Yuncong Chen -
Number of replies: 5
Hi, how do I force multiple line breaks between paragraphs?

I tried 
"aaaaaa<space><space>
bbbbbb"
and
"aaaaaa

bbbbbb".

Both gives me paragraphs that are placed one right below the other, with no spaces between them.

Thanks,
In reply to Yuncong Chen

Re: Force multiple line breaks

by Arnold Pizer -
Neither html nor pdfLaTeX allow you to do line breaks that way. Try

"aaaaaa
$BR
$BR
$BR
$BR
$BR
bbbbbb".

If you look at
 http://webwork.maa.org/pod/pg_TRUNK/macros/PGbasicmacros.pl.html#display_constants
you will see a list of the display constants that can be used in WeBWorK problems.

You should use these since they give the correct output on the screen (html), on hard copy (pdflatex), and (previously) on other no longer used methods.  Further, if in the future WeBWorK uses a new output method, the developers will only have to modify the macros (e.g. $BR) and all problems using $BR will work properly in the new output method.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Yuncong Chen -
Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using PGML. I achieved the effect using 
[@ $PAR @]*.
Just wondering if there is some more elegant way to do this in PGML. Thanks.
In reply to Yuncong Chen

by Davide Cervone -
The first should produce two lines with no space between them, btu the second should do what you ask. It does for me. What version of WeBWorK and PG are you using, and what theme? At one point, there was a problem with the math4 theme that styles paragraphs so that they didn't have space between them, so you might have that version. But I believe that the math4 theme was fixed to prevent this problem.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Yuncong Chen -
I am using theme: math4 | ww_version: 2.7 | pg_version: 2.7| 
In reply to Yuncong Chen

by Davide Cervone -
I think the fixes for this were in 2.8. You might try upgrading to that. I have tried it in 2.8 and it works as expected.