WeBWorK Main Forum

Add new professor?

Add new professor?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 3
Is it possible to add a new user to a WeBWorK site so that the user has the power to create courses (but not delete or edit other courses)? Or failing that, is it possible to create a new course, with a new professor who has access to administer it?

On my WeBWorK site, I have created a course as "admin", but it would be nice, once the course has been created, to log in as myself for the administration of it. So far "admin" is the only user with permissions to preform any editing.

I can add students to an existing course, but I can't find out how to add professors or more administrators to a WeBWorK site.

Thanks!
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: Add new professor?

by D. Brian Walton -
"Add a student" should really be called "Add a new user".  The default permissions for all new users are students, but you can modify the permission level of a user after it is created. So "Add" yourself as a new student while acting as "admin", then edit that user and change the permission level to "professor". Your new user will then be an administrator for the class. A similar technique is how you add TAs to your courses.

When a course is created, there is an option of adding an additional user as the administrator for the class -- that should probably be the account information for the actual instructor. Other users who have been added as system-wide administrators can also be added by default to new courses (look for the checkbox).

Good luck.
D. Brian Walton
James Madison University