Installation

Gateway quiz requiring proctor information

Gateway quiz requiring proctor information

by Alan Ableson -
Number of replies: 7
Another 2.9 installation-related issue. I've got (yet another) fresh install, this time set up using Ubuntu 14.04, and Goele's installation script to avoid manual errors.

http://webworkgoehle.blogspot.ca/2014/05/automated-install.html?view=classic

Again, things are working almost correctly. The problem symptom now is that a quiz designated as a "Gateway" on the instructor side is requiring Proctor information when a student attempts it.

Administrator's view:

In reply to Alan Ableson

Re: Gateway quiz requiring proctor information

by Alan Ableson -
[Sorry for the missing graphics in the original post.]

Strangely enough, it seems like the problem has solved itself (always a little worrying, but I won't complain). In between bouts of source code review trying to track where the homework type was being used, I restarted Apache a few times, and now the Gateway quizzes are opening as they should (without requiring a proctor login). I've also rebooted the server, added new homework sets, and it seems like proper behaviour is sticking. (It would just be nice to know why that odd proctoring request appeared even those few times, but with the term starting tomorrow I won't look a gift horse in the mouth... :)

Alan

In reply to Alan Ableson

by Alasdair McAndrew -
I've been having the same issues - I've set up my homework as gateway tests, but for some reason students were being asked for proctor information.

As an experiment I changed the homework to proctored gateway tests, with a simple password. However, the students still couldn't access the test, even with my default login "admin" and the new password.

I've changed back to (non-proctored) gateway and restarted the apache web server. Restarting apache seems to have a sometimes magical effect on WW problems. I'll see how this goes.

A bit of a worry though...

-Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

by Alan Ableson -
Hi Alasdair,

I appreciate you letting me know that it's not just me seeing this!

I unfortunately have to report that, after about 3 days of stable behaviour, and no changes to the settings on the quiz, the 'enter proctor' page starting appearing for students when they attempted a gateway quiz. (In fact, right in the middle of a "how to" demo...)

- Restarting apache did NOT fix the problem.
- Rebooting the server DID fix the problem (thank goodness!)

I'll file a bug report with more details, but with behaviour as inconsistent as this, I think it'll be a challenge to track down...

Cheers,

Alan

In reply to Alan Ableson

by Alan Ableson -
Update: the problem of regular gateway quizzes requesting proctor information is recurring. Putting apache into an hourly restart has not been completely effective (though when the problem is occurring, one or two manual restarts of apache, or a server reboot, have resolved it temporarily.)

Workaround: since the request for proctor validation is still appearing, I created an account,
username: proctor
password: proctor
and assigned it the role
login_proctor
using the ClasslistEditor.

This way students can enter this proctor's information into the proctor login and then proceed with the gateway quiz.

To make the process easier for students to remember, I modified
/opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/LoginProctor.pm

and replaced the line that displayed the 'authorization' request with lines that say:
---

If you are seeing this, it's due to a Webwork bug we are trying fix.

Enter
username: proctor
and
password: proctor
below to proceed for now.

(If that doesn't work, please email [site admin])

---

Cheers,

Alan

In reply to Alan Ableson

by Alasdair McAndrew -
That seems to be a very good work-around - and I've implemented it on my own system. It should not happen, though, and the problem seems to be not with WW, but with Perl.

I don't know if the developers are in contact with the Perl mother-ship, but it seems to me to be an issue which needs to be fixed.

Thanks for working on this!
In reply to Alan Ableson

by Julian Gordon -
I am having the same issue. It is only occurring on one of the courses, but this test has type = "gateway", but is requesting a proctor password.

I am running on Ubuntu 14.04, and using Webwork 2.9.
In reply to Julian Gordon

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi all,

Is anyone seeing this bug in a WeBWorK version other than 2.9?

We use gateway tests and proctored gateway tests extensively and are having no trouble---but we're also running 2.7 still. It would be good to know at what point the bug was introduced.

Thanks,
Gavin