Installation

Upgrading from 2.9 to 2.10 using install script?

Upgrading from 2.9 to 2.10 using install script?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Number of replies: 2
Can the ww_install script be used to upgrade version 2.9 to 2.10?  Or will it break some of 2.9 - or worse, leave bits of 2.9 hanging around?

Is there a way I can install 2.9 and 2.10 simultaneously - and if so, where is the info on how to do that?

Many thanks,
Alasdair
In reply to Alasdair McAndrew

Re: Upgrading from 2.9 to 2.10 using install script?

by Michael Gage -
You can use git to have both 2.9 and 2.10 available at the same time.

Approximate instructions (for 2.7 and 2.8 rather than 2.9 and 2.10) are at 
and you can find more detailed description of the "git" commands, such as checkout and branch, online:  google "git commands" or "git commands cheat sheet". If you are currently on the master branch (at 2.9) you should create a new branch (call it release/2.10) -- pull the new current master branch to that.  If you run into difficulties you can just switch back (checkout) to your
original master branch.

Using the ww_install script is probably overkill since you are not reinstalling the entire stack of support programs but it might do the right thing.  Jason Aubrey will be able to weigh in on that.  

When you move to 2.10 you may need to install some extra CPAN perl modules and it will be necessary to upgrade the course databases (adding some extra fields).  Moving back to 2.9 is still possible because these extra fields and modules will not get in the way.  

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Upgrading from 2.9 to 2.10 using install script?

by Alasdair McAndrew -
Dear Michael,

Thanks very much!  In fact that's pretty much what I did, without bothering to create a new branch.  I used the instructions at 

http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Release_notes_for_WeBWorK_2.10#Upgrade_Instructions

I decided that if I stuffed it up then I'd do a complete clean reinstall.  But it all worked pretty well.  My only glitch was git complaining about "unmerged files", so I followed the instructions here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8044675/pull-is-not-possible-because-you-have-unmerged-files-git-stash-doesnt-work-do

and entered
git fetch origin
git reset --hard origin/master
git pull
which seemed to fix it all up.  Anyway, I'm now running 2.10!  (Although with only 1GB of RAM it's more like hobbling, rather than running...)

However, I'm about to move to a more powerful VPS.  And I'm hoping that 2.10 will have fixed some of the problems I was having last year, especially with unproctored gateway quizzes.  However, item 2 in the "Gateway Updates" section of the release notes indicates that this has been addressed.

Many thanks indeed,
Alasdair