WeBWorK Main Forum

How 1. Make exams show up BEFORE homeworks?..and/or..2. HIDE assignments that haven't opened yet?

How 1. Make exams show up BEFORE homeworks?..and/or..2. HIDE assignments that haven't opened yet?

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 4
How 

1. Make exams show up BEFORE homeworks?

and/or

2. HIDE assignments that haven't opened yet?

The motivation is that that I have 50 homeworks per year.  The exams are BELOW all those homeworks so I get panicky emails from families
saying they CANNOT find the exams!!!

Thanks!

cs
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: How 1. Make exams show up BEFORE homeworks?..and/or..2. HIDE assignments that haven't opened yet?

by Chrissy Safranski -
I too have wondered if it's possible to change the order that things appear.  Right now, it appears to me to be by status (open, closed answers recently available, closed answers available) and then oldest at the top within that status.  I would like to have oldest at the bottom instead, so students see more recent assignments at the top.  

But I haven't figured out if that's possible to change.  What I can suggest to you is not making all of your assignments visible at the beginning of the semester.  You'll have to remember to make them visible as you want students to access them.  But that would seem to help your problem.  

To do that, assuming these sets are already created, go into Homework Sets Editor, select the checkboxes next to all of the sets you want to hide and click on the tab Edit, then Take Action.  Then the second column is "Visible" and you can unselect the checkbox from each set you want to hide.  (I'm running version 2.9, so your instructions may be slightly different).
In reply to Chrissy Safranski

Re: How 1. Make exams show up BEFORE homeworks?..and/or..2. HIDE assignments that haven't opened yet?

by Christian Seberino -
Chrissy

Thank you very much.  I think I'll keep changing the visibility as you said.  
In reply to Christian Seberino

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Christian,

This is an another issue with how the the testing module and associated changes were made when tests were introduced. Because relatively few people use tests, I made them show up at the bottom of the set list. Whether that's the correct behavior is perhaps not clear.

Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Christian Seberino -
Thanks.  How hard is it to simply swap the order and put exams before homeworks?  Is there a file somewhere that I must change?