WeBWorK Main Forum

When student submit exams getting strange errors with strange dates...

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 2

See the attached for message about
"Completed results" not being available until 12/18 4:33pm which
is completely different than the 12/21 date at which
answers and results will be available.

WHERE did that random date come from and why this error?

cs
Attachment Thing.PNG
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: When student submit exams getting strange errors with strange dates...

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Christian,

My first guess is that this has to do with how gateways manage the availability of answers for students. The issue is whether they should be available at a fixed time, or at a time relative to the end of a given test version. For better or worse, the current design is to use the latter. This is described in the wiki, but the following is I think the same information.

When setting up a test, the open and due dates determine the time frame in which students are allowed to start a test. Then, when a student takes a version of the test, a version of the test is created for her/him. For that set version, the open date is set to the time at which the test is started, and the due date to that time plus the time limit for the test. Then, the answers available date is set to the due date plus the difference between the due and answer dates for the global set.

The argument for this behavior is predicated on the assumption that students might be taking multiple versions of the test at different times scattered over a long testing period. The argument for just having the answer date set to whatever the global set specifies is that it avoids the type of confusion that you've voiced. It would be a relatively easy change to make, though it would be nice to have a sense of how many people might be adversely affected. Perhaps the best solution would be to have a parameter in the configuration files that would allow selection of which behavior to exhibit.

Does that sound like what you were seeing?

Thanks,
Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

Re: When student submit exams getting strange errors with strange dates...

by Christian Seberino -
> The argument for this behavior is predicated on the assumption that students 
> might be taking multiple versions of the test at different times scattered over a 
> long testing period. " 

Hmm I never done that.

> The argument for just having the answer date set to whatever the global set 
> specifies is that it avoids the type of confusion that you've voiced. It would be a > relatively easy change to make

I *ALWAYS* just set the answer datetime exactly to the due datetime.  I never have a need to make the answers not be available when the deadline has passed.  I noticed I could just paste the same datetime to both the due datetime and answer datetime so I just started doing that. 

If would definitely vote for a config switch to just make the answer datetime automatically equal the due datetime if that is what you are asking.