WeBWorK Main Forum

Change one quiz problem's score for one student

Change one quiz problem's score for one student

by Carl Yao -
Number of replies: 5
Hi:

Due to a strange error, one student put in the correct answer for a quiz problem, but the problem was counted incorrect. I want to give that student credit for that one quiz problem, but I cannot figure out how to do that. Can someone help me? Thank you!

Carl Yao
PCC SE Center Math Instructor
In reply to Carl Yao

Re: Change one quiz problem's score for one student

by Jeremy Sylvestre -
Hi Carl, go to Instructor Tools, select the student on the left and the problem set on the right, then click "Edit one set for users." Scroll down to find the offending problem, and change the "Status" value for that problem from 0 to 1.

Cheers,
Jeremy Sylvestre
University of Alberta, Augustana Campus

In reply to Jeremy Sylvestre

by Alex Jordan -
Carl's problem set is a Gateway quiz. The student has taken two versions of it. Going to "Edit one set for users" or any of the other ways I know to edit data for a student that normally work for a regular homework set are not working in this situation. They just take you to a list of the questions, with all statuses set to 0. Nothing about those status records has to do with the status records of the two attempts the student made on the quiz. And setting any status to 1 has no effect on how that problem is reported when the student looks at her grades for the two versions, or when a single grade is determined (as the larger of the two scores) for the overall scoring tools record.

Is there a way for Carl to access and manipulate the two data sets corresponding to the two versions the studnet took?
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Jeremy Sylvestre -
Oops, sorry, my bad! I didn't see the word quiz.

Seems there's kind of a round-about way to edit things for one student on one version of a Gateway quiz:

Instructor Tools
-> Select student on left
-> Click "View/Edit all sets for one user"

Underneath the name of your quiz you will see 'test 1', 'test 2', etc. Clicking one of those will get you to a page where you can edit data for that student for just that version of the quiz.

Cheers,
Jeremy S.

In reply to Jeremy Sylvestre

by Sean Fitzpatrick -
Just came across this because of course we're using WeBWorK for final exams that we can't do in person...

In case it's useful for someone in the future (it took me a few minutes to figure out...):

"View/Edit all sets for one user" has been replaced by "View/Edit all set dates for one user".
I thought I was doomed. But once you head over to the editing dates page, you can click on an individual assignment link to edit other details, like the score on one question.

(Also: Hi Alex and Jeremy from 2015!)