WeBWorK Main Forum

Add existing user to a course

Add existing user to a course

by Edwin Flórez -
Number of replies: 4
Hello everybody,

it is possible assign a current user in admin course to a new course? For example a professor working in two different courses. 

Thanks.
In reply to Edwin Flórez

Re: Add existing user to a course

by Michael Gage -
If I've understood your question the answer is yes.  There is no problem
with a professor being the contact person for more than one course.

If you look at the classlist 
editor in the admin course you'll see that (for the admin course only) the login name is actually the instructor login combined with the name of the course -- so there is no repetition.  The main use for the classlist in the admin course is to 
provide you with a list of emails and instructor names for all of the courses
you have created on the server.

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Edwin Flórez -
Thanks to answer me. You are right, but both accounts in each difference course represent the same person? For example if one change the password, apply for other one too?

In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Michael Gage -
If you create two courses -- courseA and courseB  -- 
You can assign professorX as the contact person for each course.
You get to choose an initial password for professorX when you create the course.

so professorX will have login professorX in courseA and his initial password will be passwordA. 
For the second course   professorX will have login professorX in courseB and his initial password will be passwordB.  (You can make passwordB the same as passwordA or not as you choose.)

As far as courseA and courseB are concerned professorX is a different person in each course.  The two courses have separate user login tables.  

In the admin course we record the contact person for each new course -- mostly just to serve as a reminder -- we never use the admin course as a real webwork course (i.e. we never assign problems in that course ).  In the admin course
we will have login entries such as to   professorX_courseA   and professorX_courseB so this reminds the site administrator who is the contact person for each course. 

ProfessorX will never login to the admin course and doesn't need to know their real password.  

In reply to Michael Gage

by Edwin Flórez -
Nice answer, thanks. The first part confirms what I had experienced. I suppose there is reason for that, but I can't figure it out. I think, it is reasonable if in the main course, one account (this case the accounts in admin course) could be assigned in any course and remain the same user forever, any change in the new course will be reflecting in admin course and vice-verse.  Maybe I think it works similar to Moodle but it is not the philosophy of WebWork.

I like the core design of WebWork, the PG language, the integration with LaTeX, etc. It is really nice and something natural, thanks to share it and let it be open.