Installation

help needed - upgrading 2.4.7

help needed - upgrading 2.4.7

by Subasa Nguyen -
Number of replies: 15
Hi everyone,

I was asked to help our MathStat department to upgrade their current Webwork 2.4.7 (running on RHEL5). I am told our MathStat dept doesn't have much customization or even any over the years, so that's a relief.

I've already installed Ww2.10 on a Debian 7/Wheezy server. What we need now is to *bring* the database over.

Could you walk me through the steps I need to do in order to archive this objective? I would appreciate any help since I'm not familiar with Webwork.

Thank you very much for any help,

In reply to Subasa Nguyen

Re: help needed - upgrading 2.4.7

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Subasa,

I would bring over the courses you need one at a time.  First I would test the procedure. On the old server log into the admin course (Course Administration) and the use Archive Course to archive some course.  The archive will be stored in the courses directory (probably /opt/webwork/courses).  Move this to the same directory on the new server. Then on the new server log into the admin course (Course Administration) and the use Unarchive Course to unarchive the course. Then you will have to upgrade the database (use Upgrade Courses). Finally log into the new course and check that everything works.  If all is OK, bring over all the courses that you need.  If there are old courses that are not needed, I would just archive them and save them somewhere (e.g. on the new server) so that they can be recovered if needed.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Subasa Nguyen -
Hi Arnold,

Thank you for your reply.
I tried as you suggested, but I ran into so many errors.

Attempts:

1. Archive courses
a. Copy currently archived courses (on 2.4.7) over to new server running 2.10
b. Unarchive, upgrade courses. Got multiple warnings and errors.
c. Try to access these courses. Some are blank with HTML fragments. Some just gave lots of errors.

2. Currently active courses
a. On 2.4.7, archive active courses
b. Download archives, upload to new server
c. Unarchive, upgrade courses. I got some warnings but looks ok
d. Went to view course, I can see the Homework Sets - great. But viewing any of them gives more errors.

I copy down some detailed error messages, but they're probably too long to post it here, so I'm attaching the file instead.

Please advise,

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Subasa,

I assume you imported the course to the new server running WeBWorK 2.10 but on the new server did you run "Upgrade Courses"?.  I didn't see that you did and that is the step that should create missing tables, etc.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Subasa Nguyen -
Hi Arnold,

Yes I followed the steps you gave me:

- Archive the course on old server WW2.4.7
- Download tar files, upload to new server running WW2.10
- Unarchive courses
- Upgrade courses

Even though it created new/missing tables, I still run into warnings, problems when I view homework sets.

Please see the attached screenshots:
Attachment Capture1.PNG

by Subasa Nguyen -

by Subasa Nguyen -

by Subasa Nguyen -

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi,

In the error message, the file location .../templates/ucsbLibrary/... has a non standard directory or link, namely ucsbLibrary.  I would check that the path is correct.  When people use non standard locations for stuff, it obviously causes issues when moving courses. Or you may have to move the problems to the new server if they are using local problems.

Hope that is the problem.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Subasa Nguyen -
Hi Arnold,

Thank you soooo much!!! Yes that was the problem(s). 
I found some symbolic links for 

ucsb_problib
union_problib
NationalProblemLibrary

in these courses, pointing to /opt/webwork/libraries, but in this location there're no such folders. I manually created them, and upload the libraries, et voila` it works!!!

Thank you so much once again~ 

Much appreciated,
Attachment snoopy_thankyou_big.jpg

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Subasa,

Glad everything is working.  One thing to be certain to do (and you have probably done this) is to run the OPL-update script. See http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Installation_Manual_for_2.10_on_Ubuntu_14.04#Install_the_WeBWorK_Problem_Libraries

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Subasa Nguyen -
Hi Arnold,

Thank you. I have followed the steps from your link (except the last one about physics problems).

When I tried to view some Open Problem Library problems, some of them shows "This problem produced an error".

I viewed the path, and made sure that the path is correct, the *.pg files are there. How can I fix this error?

I found http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3211 and checked webwork2/conf/defaults.config but the parameters of $pg{directories}{macrosPath} are already there.

Thank you,
Attachment CaptureMathStat.JPG

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Subasa,

Without knowing what problems are causing errors, we can't help you. You can click on "Show path ..." which will identify the pg file name, etc.   Then we can check whether or not there is a bug in the problem or if you are missing some macro file, etc,

Also if you add the offending problem to a homework set and view it, maybe you will get a more informative error message (not sure about that) but there are differences between viewing a problem in the Library Browser and in a real course.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Subasa Nguyen -
Hi Arnold,

Yes I did clicked it and went to the *.pg files' location but they are all there.

However for now I think most of the setup is good, and I'll let the MathStat people to continue their own testing.

Thank you very much for your help Arnold, 

Best,

by Danny Glin -
When you see "This problem produced an error" in the Library Browser, you can still click on the "Try It" icon (the eye on the top right of the problem pane).  This will give you more details on the error.

If there are a lot of problems in one section that produce errors, I find it is usually because of either a missing macro file or some other dependency.

Danny