WeBWorK Main Forum

Referencing "assignmentType" variable in a problem

Referencing "assignmentType" variable in a problem

by Kyle Maddox -
Number of replies: 10
I'm trying to set it up so that we can use the same problems for quizzes and homeworks but not include some knowlinks on the quizzes. Is there a way for me to call the "assignmentType" variable in the problem itself?

My current idea is to set it up as:

if($assignmentType!='gateway' && $coursenum == 110)
elsif($assigmentType!='gateway' && &coursenum == 1100)
else
{}

as this is close to the code I already have in place.

I've tried having problems print the assignmentType variable as text and neither in homework or on generated quizzes does it appear.

Any hints? Thanks!
In reply to Kyle Maddox

Re: Referencing "assignmentType" variable in a problem

by Davide Cervone -
There isn't a direct variable that lists this, but there are some indirect ways to tell. One is to use the $QUIZ_PREFIX variable, which is blank for non-quzzes and non-empty for quizzes. It would also be possible to look at the $setNumber, which I think is actually the set name now; I think quizzes use special set names that include ",v" or something, so you could look for that.

One approach might be to use PGcourse.pl to disable the know link macros during a quiz, so you don't have to write problems specifically to do that themselves. Something like

PG_restricted_eval("sub knowlLink {}") if $QUIZ_PREFIX;
might do it.
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Kyle Maddox -
Thanks for this answer!

To be clear, adding that line to PGcourse.pl will remove knowlinks and accompanying text from the gateway-style assignments?

Thanks again!
In reply to Kyle Maddox

by Davide Cervone -
I haven't tested it, so so I can't say for sure, but I think it will. Give it a try and let us know!

Note that it will only work if the problems actually do include PGcourse.pl, and not every one does.

by Kyle Maddox -
I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but just for clarification, this should make the links and the accompanying text disappear, not just disable them, right?

Thanks!
In reply to Kyle Maddox

by Davide Cervone -
Right. They should no longer be inserted into the page at all.

by Kyle Maddox -
It looks like we don't have the pg_courses.pl file included in most of our problems, so it won't be easy for us to do this. I'm looking into other options now, but thanks for your help!
In reply to Kyle Maddox

by Davide Cervone -
Note that the name is PGcourse.pl not pg_course.pl. Many problems include it, but many do not, so it might not work for you.

by Kyle Maddox -
I was just going from memory, sorry. It looks like most of the problems we're using don't have it though.

Thanks again for your suggestions, Davide.
In reply to Kyle Maddox

by Alex Jordan -
Are these OPL problems you are using? Or local problems?

You could consider using regex to insert the loading of PGcourse.pl into all of your problems. Although you maybe shouldn't do that to the OPL problems.

I don't know enough regex to offer specific code, but something that looked for "loadMacros(......);" and inserted ",'PGcourse.pl'," right before the closing paren would do it. It would have to match over multiple lines.

(Even fancier regex could make it only insert when PGcourse.pl wasn't already there. Although depending on what you put in PGcourse.pl, it may not matter to have it repeated.)
In reply to Alex Jordan

by Kyle Maddox -
I believe they're mostly or all local problems. I'd have to learn the regex to be able to do this, and I sadly don't think I have the time for that.

My boss and I have decided to look into using the Hint feature to try and solve the issue, but the problem (as I explain further in another post that I made) is that we'd like the display text to say something other than "HINT:" on the page.

Maybe the regex with PGcourse.pl would be the best practice, but we're trying to work towards a quick solution since we're trying to get these inserted before our students come to the problems without them. We've got a few weeks, but I'd still like to get started on a solution now, haha.

Thanks for your suggestion though!