WeBWorK Main Forum

Recovering courses from instructors who have left the institution

Recovering courses from instructors who have left the institution

by Murphy Waggoner -
Number of replies: 2
I am the chair of a small department at a small school.  We host WebWork on our own server, but I am not the administrator of that server.  

The issue is that we have courses for several faculty who are not with us anymore.

I would like to let me new faculty start with the courses that the old faculty had already created for the textbook we are currently using.  But I don't know how to access those courses since I was not listed as an instructor.

My server administrator has to learn everything about WebWork on the fly and is struggling to help me.

How can I be added as an instructor or administrator to all courses for faculty no longer with us?  Please don't just tell me to use a script, but how to use the script.

Thanks.
In reply to Murphy Waggoner

Re: Recovering courses from instructors who have left the institution

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Murphy,

You do need to have access to the server so the following will have to be done by your systems admin.

Look at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/WeBWorK_shell_-_wwsh
and toward the bottom of the page you will see

For frequent tasks, you can put the appropriate sequence of commands in a text file and call the file from within wwsh to execute that sequence of commands. For example, if we put the commands above into a text file called addadmin in webwork2/bin/, then the command

source addadmin

Note that your system does have this script addadmin in /opt/webwork/webwork2/bin/ so if your sys admin follows the instructions about running wwsh, he or she can add the user admin with password admin as a prof in any course. You can then login and add other instructors. Be sure also to change the password for admin.

Be sure to write back if you or your sys admin needs more detailed instructions.

Arnie

In reply to Arnold Pizer

Re: Recovering courses from instructors who have left the institution

by Murphy Waggoner -
Arnie, 

I will share this with the Admin.  He found out how to change the passwords on the courses.  That let us in, and then added ourselves as professors, could rename and all that.

Thanks,

Murphy