WeBWorK Main Forum

admin course got hidden - is there a resolution

admin course got hidden - is there a resolution

by Murphy Waggoner -
Number of replies: 3
My fault, I'm afraid.  I was cleaning up the courses that were showing by hiding the courses from last semester.  I didn't realize that the admin course needed to stay unhidden, and I hid it.  Of course, now I know that I can't get into course administration any more.

Is there a resolution to this goof?

Thanks,

Murphy
In reply to Murphy Waggoner

Re: admin course got hidden - is there a resolution

by Alex Jordan -
If a course is hidden, that only means it is not listed at webwork.yourdomain.edu/webwork2. The course still exists, and can be visited directly using its address. So if you put

webwork.yourdomain.edu/webwork2/admin

in your browser, it should take you to the admin "course" login page. You will then need a login and password to get into there. But if you have those credentials, then it is quite likely they can be used to get into any open course (by which I mean unarchived, regardless of whether it is hidden.) Because usually, when an instructional course is created, the people with the accounts in the admin course are automatically added to the instructional course.

And even if these old instructional courses are hidden, you can still get to them using their address directly. If they have been archived, then you need to go into the admin course, unarchive them, and possibly update their database tables first, or do all that from shell access to the server.

In reply to Alex Jordan

Re: admin course got hidden - is there a resolution

by Murphy Waggoner -
Thanks!  I know now that I shouldn't hide the admin course - live and learn.

I got into the admin course using the link above (with our domain) and unhid the admin course.  I'm feeling much better now that I know my faculty can get in and work with names, hiding, archiving, etc.