WeBWorK Main Forum

Enabling Students to Submit Answers to an assignment

Enabling Students to Submit Answers to an assignment

by Homer White -
Number of replies: 5
I'm quite new to Webwork. I've installed it locally on my Linux machine and remotely on a test server, and I'm fidning my way around.

I can create courses, import a list of students, and create problems sets just fine. But I find that when I log in as one of the students and attempt a HW set, I can enter answers, preview and check them, but cannot actually submit them.

Online help material for students (see here) appears to assume that in each HW problem there is a Submit Answers button. All I can get are buttons to Preview and the Check answers.

How do I edit the HW settings so as to permit students to actually submit their answers?

Thanks,
Homer
In reply to Homer White

Re: Enabling Students to Submit Answers to an assignment

by Michael Gage -
Perhaps the open date for the problem set is for sometime in the future? That has happened to me before.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Homer White -
The open date has been set for a day in the past, so that's not the problem.

(I find that when it's set for the future the students sees a message like this:

will open on 4/02/2016 ...

and cannot view the problems.)
In reply to Homer White

by Danny Glin -
Are you logging in as a student directly, or just acting as a student? By default if you are acting as a student it won't allow you to submit answers on behalf of the student.

The only other thought I had was that the number of attempts per question is set to 0. If that is the case then no submissions would be recorded.

Danny
In reply to Homer White

by Arnold Pizer -
Are you sure you are actually logging in as the student rather than just "acting as the" student.  If you are doing the later, you will see exactly what you are describing.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Homer White -
I figured it out: when I set up the class list I set the permission level for all students to -5, which made them guests rather than students. After setting the correct permission level I find that all is well.

Thanks for the attempts to help. I'm sure that I'll be back soon.

I'm eager to get good enough to be able to return the favor someday.

Homer